Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Indian Culture

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Bill

Bill Full Member

Photo shows Indian school children having meals provided by the school in India. How can they eat on the floor with the plate on the ground? Unhygienic? Never mind the eating with bare hands..

[​IMG]

the mechanic likes this.
  2. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... bare feet too!

:cool:

3. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Being modern and westernized, I would never live like this. But there is categorically nothing wrong with how these people eat. They wash their hands before and after meals. Their feet are clean. The floor they eat on is swept clean. They don't have as much as we have in the West, so they live simply. But except for those who are mired in poverty, they are comfortable in their own way.

Funny how different cultures misinterpret each other. My ancestors equally had weird beliefs about white people. A hundred years ago many suspected that Europeans might sometimes practice cannibalism. A misunderstanding of the Christian ritual about the bread and wine ----- eating Christ's body and drinking his blood ---- was behind that.

When Dad took us to the Old Country as kids I met my grandparents. I was horrified to realize that Grandma had this notion that folks in the United States eat dog's flesh. Turned out she was referring to a good old hot dog! Somebody had translated those words literally.

the mechanic likes this.
  4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

they probably cannot afford a table and shoes.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. Vivek Golikeri

They might, if they sacrificed other priorities. Indians are usually very frugal people who put great value on education. They would rather wear old clothes and go to school than have nice things and not afford better education. Trust me. I know because I derive from an Indian family background. They are obsessed with education.

the mechanic likes this.
  6. Vivek Golikeri

I have the same relationship with these people that a black professor in America has with Zulu tribesmen in Africa. They are decent people and I wish them well. But I feel utterly no bond with India and Indian people in general. I just care about three things. My family, my friends, and a few items of Indian culture which I pick and choose.

the mechanic likes this.
  7. BruceWhite

BruceWhite Guest

And what would You do if they ask You for charity? are You going to kill them all? Or You reserve the killing thing only for White People?

the mechanic likes this.
  8. Vivek Golikeri

Asking for charity is not a crime, BruceWhite. Harassing people, being drunk and disorderly, or pulling scams like those gypsies should be. And by the way, since when did gypsies become white people? I think you just don't like me, and are fishing for just anything on this forum to pick a bone about. This thread has nothing to do with panhandling. It is about dining customs. If you want to attack me because I hate aggressive beggars, come after me on the appropriate thread.

the mechanic likes this.
  9. BruceWhite

BruceWhite Guest

Well... hum... You have to follow Your own advice, You have the habit of following Your own agenda, in other threads You attack other posters without any regard for the thread's subject.
    I have to take out the dirty laundry (You included) and based on what You said, You consider gypsies subhuman and non white, Is that correct...? and Hitler considered gypsies subhuman as well is that correct...? And Hitler considered Jews as subhumans as well, is that correct...? You claim to side with Jews...
    You don't realize that You are bias? You contradict yourself, Can You tell us how did You came to the conclusion that in the Lower Mainland We have gypsies...? I see white guys who beg for help on the streets, for some reason this guys came down on their luck, and Your co-racist brothers call them white trash. Do You deny this?
    If You think We are white trash why did You guys came to Canada anyway?

the mechanic likes this.
  10. Vivek Golikeri

Are you Bruce from Memebee Forum come on this forum to stalk me?

the mechanic likes this.
  11. the mechanic

... Vivek, posting a reply to message in a thread, even an unpleasant one, is not stalking ...

12. Vivek Golikeri

I know that. It was sarcasm. I was just insulting him back. But thanks anyway for pointing that out.

the mechanic likes this.
  13. the mechanic

... my mistake ...