Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

ICBC (Cancelling Insurance Early)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PutintheGhost, May 16, 2014.

1. Just throwing this up to find if anyone has experience with cancelling car insurance early and getting a refund back.Have a year and about 3 months into it if that makes a difference.

Wondering if they charge back to the credit card or send a cheque in the mail and how long it takes?

So far I have been told a cheque will take 3-5 weeks that seems crazy.

the mechanic likes this.
  2. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

Last time I got a cheque back within a week.

milquetoast likes this.
  3. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... if ever there was one service that should be taken away from the government and opened up to the free market it's the crown's car insurance monopoly ...

4. Yeah I made the mistake of phoning around and got answers all over the field.
    Seems like a pretty good way to find out who is on the up and up when they tell you a long time frame.

Im debating selling my car now or when I come back from being out of town. Reason I was debating the issue. Bloody transmission is going in it,so most likely scrapper,which will be another ordeal all togther. Better than dealing with lowballers weeks on end I guess.

Thanks for the replies..:up:

the mechanic likes this.
  5. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

How are you going to sell your car? Im thinking of selling mine but not sure where to post my ad. Craigslist is spammed with ads from used car dealers.

the mechanic likes this.
  6. So hard selling a car for me,I hate talking to strangers well trying to b.s them about the car.
    When I sold a Jeep that I bought off craigslist I had maybe 12 different people come by for test drives. Each one pointed out a different thing wrong with the Jeep. I was starting to think I would never unload the garbage when a guy hung over with his kids pulled up. His kids where all over the place and he just did not have the time to haggle. So he bought it without driving it or even really looking at it.
    Mind you I put ads in the paper and got no bites from that.

This time I posted a ad and so far got 4 emails and I think 3 of them are the same guy feeling me out to make a low ball offer before even meeting. I will search the phone number they give me and often it will be connected to a used car salesman.
    Will give it a week and then most likely see what the scrappers offer me. It has issues so,out of my hair and its all good.

If you do craigslist be ready for people to try to get a good deal out of you. Had a lady offer sex for the jeep as she was behind in her rent. Had a guy even post my ad for a thousand more and then he contacted me I guess after he got bites. Had kids come by just to joyride. You will get a lot of lowball offers as well.
    I once sold a car to a lot and they where one of those high turn over lots due to offering people on the edge credit. Kind of like what they all do now with that 10K back deal,its so shiesty. Any ways when shopping around a good price for that car,one of the dealers mentioned this lot would pay more due to just needing any car to get the deal going. Guess you could say its like a loan and they throw a car in to keep it in the gray area with their high interest rates.

Rambling,just had my 3rd coffee!!

7. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I was told a few weeks for the ICBC cheque to come after canceling the insurance.

the mechanic likes this.
  8. bill barilko

bill barilko Full Member

Been there/done that and it does feel great.

The funny part was that a year or so later I almost fell off my bike when I saw my old truck go by!

Someone had bought and and dropped a couple grand just to get it running the motor was OK but the rest was a wreck especially the seat after my fat ass had been sitting in it for 13+ years!

the mechanic likes this.
  9. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

Have you tried calling ICBC and asking them? Call 604-661-2800.

the mechanic likes this.