Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Finances & Real Estate HST Referendum - What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, May 26, 2011.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I'm not too happy with how they implemented it (ie: should have kept the same exemptions as with the PST) but they spent all this money implementing it. Backtracking would be a huge waste of money and resources. Instead, why not have an HST reform instead?

FightFightHST

2. milquetoast

3. APReal

APReal Junior Member

Tough decision. Unfortunately, the benefits of HST have been so poorly explained & now people are too tired of the whole deal to even want to find out. I hate to say this, but I don't feel I have the time to really research the issue now & wish it had been presented better in the first place. Because it hadn't, I'd rather it was scrapped.

4. milquetoast

No doubt about that, they tried to pull a fast one and it backfired. Not everyone has knowledge about economics/business. The material they put out for the referendum is good, but where was it when they decided to implement the HST in the first place?

---------------------------------------------------

This whole HST thing has been a colossal waste of resources and money. Unfortunately, scrapping it would mean a lot more money being wasted in the future. The gov't has to make up that deficit somehow, maybe it won't be through consumer taxes but in the end the taxpayers will have to foot the bill. Anti-HSTers make it seem like the HST is such a huge tax increase, but logically, going back to GST+PST would cost taxpayers even more.

The kicker is that the Anti-HST side has been a lot more deceptive in the statements that they make compared to the government. They twist statistics and quote out of context to support their arguments. Both sides are biased, that's unavoidable, but the government has been a lot more objective about it (at least during the referendum).

Remember, HST ≠ Gordon Campbell

[​IMG]