Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Have you ever known anyone who's WON t-h-e- lotto?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Superchecker, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Just watching the news tonight, and the winner of the $25,000,000.00 LOTTO-MAX draw from a couple of weeks ago, has come forward...

Turns out I worked with the winners husband back in the 80's when we both worked in the grocery industry!

Congrats Mark & Leslie!

2. Bine

Bine Full Member

Actually yes. Friends of my grandparents won $100,000 in the old Western Express Lottery in the 80's - they didn't need the money as they owned three apartment buildings in Victoria. Friends of my other grandparents won $1,000,000 in the Provincial Lottery back in the late 80's - they too didn't need the money as they lived in the UEL and he was a retired doctor. My Mom's best friend growing up won $5 million in the 649 but once again, they didn't need it as they already owned an enormous house in the British Properties and her husband was a retired broker with millions in the bank.

While none of the fore mentioned needed the money I do know of two cases where regular middle class folk won lottery prizes. The first one was guy I went to school with who won $100,000 as a secondary prize in the BC Hospital lottery and the second was my Dad's secretary. The first time she won it was a subsidiary prize of around $57,000 in the 649. The second time she won around $150,000 as a secondary prize in the 649. Finally, just after my Dad retired she won $2.4 million in the 649 and subsequently retired herself.

Superchecker likes this.
  3. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

The ticket was purchased from the save on foods that I go to every so often. Gonna have a little chat with the ticket seller. Every time I go get a 6/49 ticket there, he would ask if I want lotto max.

Superchecker likes this.
  4. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Oh, and another guy I used to work with in the 90's recently won SET FOR LIFE! Saw his picture a few times this summer in the free newspapers...

5. justagal

justagal Guest

The winners husband is the CEO and has the office next to me. Good for them, but we wonder what will happen around here now.

6. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

If I ever win, I would go on a long vacation. Stay at hotels every night. Eventually settle down somewhere. Wherever.

7. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Friend's co-worker won Set for Life. He was a gas jockey at Chevron.

What company?