Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Had A Talk With A Man Who Hates Muslims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Sep 20, 2016.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... i was having coffee yesterday afternoon in a coffee shop when a older gentleman i'd never met before sat down across from me ...

... we got to talking and i soon learned that he's extremely religious and that a big issue for him are MUSLIMS. he feels they're basically SAVAGES who torment women and that the government is making a HUGE MISTAKE allowing them into the country as refugees. he was very adamant about this ...

... he also said that when push comes to shove, as in a military situation where they'd be fighting side by side with westerners for instance, they will turn against us, especially if they were deployed in the middle east. while i personally harbor no ill will towards muslims, i do have some empathy for this viewpoint ...

... i'm wondering how widespread his view is. what do you think? should the canadian government think twice about allowing so much immigration from war zone countries like syria?

... or is his attitude driven by media propaganda that is unfairly demonizing these people in support of campaigns the western military are waging in the middle east?

... comments?

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

From my understanding, many of the Syrian immigrants that are fleeing persecution are Christian...

the mechanic likes this.
  3. the mechanic

... is that right? interesting. thank you for your reply, flutterby ...

... i think perhaps for some, "muslim" is a catchall term to describe everyone from the middle east ...

... my feeling us that this prejudice against muslims is a result of brainwashing by the news media. people are programmed by what they see and told. in all fairness it's quite understandable. the media is a weaponized division of government wielding more might than it ever has before. in fact, the man i was speaking to admitted that virtually everything he knew about muslims was derived from the news. but if you look around we are not being put upon by muslims or any other religious group. the government needs a scapegoat -- especially the U.S. government -- and middle easterners have long been one of their favorites ...

4. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

I favor the United States taking a small number of Christians, Yazidis and secularized or westernized Muslims. But orthodox Muslims who favor Sharia law and segregation of the sexes? OUT.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. the mechanic

... thank you for your thoughtful comment, Vivek. always good to hear from the intelligentsia ...

... this seventy-two-year-old newfoundlander (he actually described himself as a "newfie") i met was a fan of CHURCH PREACHERS who he says don't have the fire they used to have in the old days. he said they have to be careful with what they say and have to be very PC now ...

... but i mentioned that the american preachers i listen to on shortwave radio are very candid about their animus for homosexuals in every form. he had no sympathy, he just nodded and explained that condemning them is consistent with religious doctrine ...

... how very quaint his old-fashioned thinking was ...

6. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

My ancestors had their own stupid ideas. By no means is it merely the white people whose mind has come out of the Stone Age. Yes, that Newfoundlander can get on his high horse against gays. Guess what? I hate evangelism as much as evangelists hate homosexuality. If they gave me one of those free Gideon Bibles, I might use it for toilet paper. Now I have utterly no beef against Roman Catholics or regular Protestants, because they don't come shoving their religion on you. America, like Canada, is essentially a Christian civilization and no-one forced me to come here. If people like their Christmas display and Christmas carols, I have to treat that with respect.

But Jehovah's Witnesses and evangelicals need to be eaten by lions in the Roman Colosseum. Just as Islamic terrorists need to have the Dickens bombed out of them.

the mechanic likes this.