Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Green Tea Ice Cream - Brand Reviews

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Apr 15, 2012.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Thread Index:
    1. Hime Brand
    2. Shirakiku
    3. Marble Slab

To come:
    Island Farm Green Tea Ice Cream
    Mario's Gelati Green Tea
    La Casa Gelato

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hime Brand Green Tea Ice Cream
    Solid choice, it has an appropriate amount of matcha flavour and is what you would expect when you think of green tea ice cream :up:. It's not too sweet and has a nice mouthfeel to it.

Found this at Rong Hua Supermarket (formerly Osoyoos, Consumer Produce, Orange Grove etc. at the corner of 41st and Victoria) for $5.97. It's ubiquitous in the east but I've never managed to find it on the West Coast until now. They also had Red Bean and Black Sesame flavours but not Ginger (can be found at T&T Supermarket).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

I don't like green tea icecream. Strawberry and mint are my flavor of choice. Asian dinners tend to have green tea icecream for some reason. Yucky.

3. milquetoast

Shirakiku Green Tea Ice Cream [Matcha]
    I bought this at T&T Supermarket in Richmond for $6.19, but it can also be found at Izumi-Ya and Konbiniya. On first impression, the green colour looks a tad artificial. Taste-wise, the matcha flavour is there but I found it overly sweet. The deal breaker for me was the texture, it was icy instead of smooth.

Overall, I would pass on this. It's more expensive, contains more calories and most importantly, the taste & texture are subpar. Because it's widely available, it does win points in the convenience department though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took a look at the ingredients afterwards: it has more sugar (3.33x), calories (1.88x), sodium (2.5x) and fat (1.85x) than the Hime brand. Also take notice of the trans-fat content :down:. I'm not sure how trustworthy the numbers on the Nutrition Facts are since the Sugars subtotal is greater than the Carbohydrate total. I peeled off the amended label to reveal the one originally printed on the packaging,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. milquetoast

Marble Slab Green Tea Ice Cream
    Sampled a bit of this recently and it was pretty crappy. It was an unnatural light neon-lime green colour. I couldn't taste any green tea or matcha flavour. Terrible. It was like eating vanilla. Granted, this analysis is based off of a sample spoon serving but there are much better options available that don't cost a premium.

5. KelleyWebb

KelleyWebb New Member

My husband eats green tea ice cream daily :sick:.