Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Gluten Free Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by Eleika, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Eleika

Eleika New Member

I can't eat gluten, and lately I've noticed that restaurants seem to be catering more to people like me. I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions I don't know about.

Such as ...

- Superstore (even Metrotown) has a gluten-free section.
    - Boston Pizza and Pizza Pizza now offer gluten-free pizza crusts.
    - The Old Spaghetti Factory now offers rice pasta (yum!) and has a gluten-free menu.
    - The Wallflower Modern Diner (the first Groupon I ever bought) has a gluten-free menu, too.

One thing I have noticed is that some restaurants supposedly have a GF menu but they're not that good. This one sandwich shop I went to last year offered any of their sandwiches on GF bread, but it was crappy GF bread that fell apart. It's probably for the best that I can't remember their name. Darn, and I really wanted to enjoy that beef dip ... ;__;

Looking forward to suggestions and things I haven't heard about!

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I think most restaurants can accommodate gluten free if you mention it. As for "dedicated" menus, I don't have any personal experience.

However, I remember reading that Zin restaurant and lounge was mostly gluten free because the chef's wife couldn't eat gluten. (edit: never mind, looks like it's closed :()

Supermarket wise, Famous Foods (http://www.famousfoods.ca/) has a large selection of gluten free products, but so do Choices, Whole Foods and Capers. Though I suspect it might be pricier than Superstore.

You probably know of the blog gluten free Vancouver, but I'll mention it anyway. It's probably the best resource on all things GF in Vancouver. I found the blog while digging around for blogs to add on a project I was working on. Here's their post on Famous Foods, http://glutenfree-vancouver.blogspot.com/2010/06/gluten-free-at-famous-foods-and-more.html

3. Eleika

Eleika New Member

Thanks!

It's true that there's a gluten-free menu in lots of places. I was just hoping to hear of specific places, because then I'd be more likely to go there.

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Oh, where are the other Pizza Pizza locations? I know there's one at UBC on campus, but aside from that I figured it was more of an Ontario thing.

5. paperbagdame

paperbagdame New Member

Ohhh I adore the Wallflower. Cozy, hip, but nothing pretentious. Good ol' comfort food; went there the other day for their Meatloaf Wellington and it was delish!

6. vancouverfoodie

vancouverfoodie New Member

Rocky Mountain Flatbread was my first intro intro gluten-free pizza. So good we ordered ahead from their Canmore location for yummy highway take-out!