Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Fresh Honey Mussels or Gallo Mussels

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Feb 3, 2013.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Where's the best place to get these? Basically looking for Salt Spring Island grown varieties instead of the Atlantic PEI stuff that's in grocery stores.

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

To update my own thread,

I found Granville Island pretty good for this. I may check out 7 Seas later on because I've had good luck with their scallops.

Lobster Man is cheapest per pound and were largest in size (labelled Gallo Mussels), but they weren't as lively as the other stores. They also have a great selection of oysters. (N.B. despite their namesake, I would actually go to Lobsters Only on Broadway for actual lobsters)

Seafood City says they carry Honey Mussels but when I dropped by they only had ones labelled Salt Spring Island. They weren't big, so it could be a blue/gallo hybrid but they were more lively.

Seafood City also had the best prices within the Public Market.

These are the ones from Lobster Man (sorry for the white balance):
    [​IMG]