Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Foody Goody Chinese Buffet

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Aug 12, 2014.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Do you remember the buffet Foody Goody? There was a rumour going around when I was a kid that they served stolen neighbourhood cats and dogs. Allegedly, they shut down after a food inspector found cats and dogs in cages. Racist stereotypes of the 1990s.

2. Bine

Bine Full Member

I remember the one in Richmond. I think the real story was that the health dept. in Richmond shut them down for a few days for a minor infraction and then of course the rumours started. Now days you can check http://www.inspections.vcha.ca/Main to see current closures or to look up a particular restaurant. Back in the 1990's you couldn't do this so racist rumours went unchecked.

3. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

I went to the one in Richmond and Burnaby. They were good. Good memories at the Burnaby one. They had the washrooms upstairs across from this giant dinning room. Me, my sisters, and my mom's friend's son would play up there.

4. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich Junior Member

I've heard those racist stray dog/cat stereotypes about actual Chinese food in general before, but never about the rather awful pseudo-Chinese buffet Foody Goody.

However, on the topic of racism: I find the name "Foody Goody" quite racist (i.e. mocking the stereotypical accent). :facepalm:

Anyway, I'm not familiar with any of Foody Goody's former (and/or current?) Metro Vancouver locations--but I was dragged to their Winnipeg location a couple of times in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The quality was quite poor and, perhaps unsurprisingly, that particular location was eventually shut down around 2011 due to numerous health code violations. :sick:

As far as Chinese or pseudo-Chinese restaurants go, Foody Goody would probably be the very last place that I would ever dream of recommending! :down:

5. Corey

Corey Guest

The cat and dog meat served at goody goody was not a rumour,
    I know the person who investigated that.
    They found 200 cats and dogs frozen in one of the frizers laebeled as chicken meat at the Burnaby location.
    It was pretty disgusting knowing that, because I eat there..
    So, yeah , it is true..
    Try to see past the aparence sometimes in this restaurants.
    If it says chicken or pork and it tastes funny chances are they are cats and dogs..
    Not the first time either..
    Enjoy !!

6. MargstanCallium

MargstanCallium New Member

wow.. i think it was $9.95 all you can eat.. i guess it's actually $9.95 mystery meat! :\