Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Finding where you belong

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Jun 9, 2013.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Cities are different;each with a different "feel" or energy. For instance, I notice a definite change in energy when I drive from Vancouver to Surrey for instance. Usually after spending some time away from my home city, I start to miss it and I'm happy, for the most part, to be back again. And I can usually tell the difference btwn a Vancouverite and a Surreyite, or other city. The energy is different. I happen to like the energy of both Vancouver and Surrey, but there is a weird "hippie" element in Vancouver that can get on my nerves. It's kind of artsy fartsy, kind of "woo woo", but I've learned to live with it. It's actually gotten grittier and more real than it was 20 years ago, but there is a weird dream like quality to the city that I don't always like ie. the energy of illusion is strong here...or should I say deception?

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Each neighbourhood has its own feel as well.

3. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Sometimes the energy of the big city is good, upbeat, positive....

I do like the slightly more relaxed feel of suburbia...

4. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

I know that feeling. I found where I belong in Florida....I just love it here. Now that doesn't mean we don't have problems or ugly things here. But compared to most places, this is where I want to be.

Would I move if I became very rich and could move anywhere? Somewhere north to Palm Beach County, perhaps. Hawaii is too far from everything and everyone that has been my life. Southern California? Perhaps, but earthquakes come suddenly. At least in Florida we can prepare in advance for hurricanes. Hmm, I think I am pretty much where I want to be.

5. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

If I lived a couple of centuries in the future, I should like to reside on one of those rotating habitat cylinders that contain meadows, lakes and rivers on the inside and the cities and most political and economic activity in underground levels. Actually, I do believe I will be there in some future incarnation.