Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Finding Safe, suitable roommate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Mar 5, 2014.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Its really hard and quite ridiculous to basically answer an ad and then move in with a virtual stranger yet the high price of single dwelling units are out of reach for many. Think about what a security risk people take when having a stranger move in with them. Will they read others mail, leave a dirty mess in the bathroom, pay the rent on time, invite a string of one noght stands over or dodgy relatives?

Because there are so few affordable single dwelling units for single people, people are put at risk not only for criminal behaviour, but other security breaches and disruptions to a balanced life.

The sad case of the young Innuit woman in Eastern Canada should be a wake up call that single people need affordable housing so they dont have to live with strangers. People in the East and elsewhere see this case as an Aboriginal woman's issue but i think that misses the broader issue: affordable housing for single people!

the mechanic likes this.
  2. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

I have many people, from time to time, ask to live with me. I say a very firm "no." I would only keep a relative, a girlfriend or a friend who is like family. In addition to the well-observed security risk, there is loss of privacy. One's home is far more than simply a place of convenience and physical comfort. It is the sanctuary and stage of one's private life, and I'm not having just anybody around my private life.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. vancouverguy

vancouverguy Guest

I could not agree more

4. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... ulimately one just has to take the plunge and give a potential roommate a chance; there's no other way ...

5. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

6. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Have you lived with roommates Mechanic? For how many years? And about screening......do you think youd get an honest answer if u asked an applicant if they had Hep C?......or a criminal record? A drug problem? We need more affordable rental units for single people!

7. the mechanic

... have i lived with roommates? sure have. didn't doing an prior checkin up on 'em either. worked out fine ...

... but what have you got against ex-cons, flutterby? you're communicating with one right now!!!

:)

8. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

I know some are wrongfully accused, but some are not. You just cannot know. This is my point.

9. the mechanic

... the government is so accusatory these days, you'd be suprised how many people have been in jail ...

... good luck finding a roommate, flutterby. i wish you well! :up:

10. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member