Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Do You Use The Self-Serve Checkout At The Grocery Store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Dec 15, 2013.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... they put in self-serve checkouts at the save-on-foods here in town a few years ago. i prefer the self-serve checkouts myself but not everyone does ...

... how about you? do you use the self-serve checkouts? or do you prefer the personalized service you get with a dutiful checkout person?

... comments?

2. I prefer using the self-serve checkouts because they accepted any credit cards back when they started as opposed to the lines with a checkout person only accepting debit cards or store-specific cards. I also find it quicker in the self-serve checkouts because they have a 12 items or less limit whereas the checkout person lines usually have people with full carts.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. the mechanic

... i agree and thanks for your reply! the thing is, sometimes the self-serve checkouts are so popular that it's actually quicker just to go to a checkout with a human cashier than waiting in line for the self-serve machine ...

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I find that to be the case sometimes as well.

I'm still more comfortable using a checkout that has a cashier at stores. I haven't encountered that many at most stores I go to. I think I will get used to them over time. It's the same with ATM's and gas pumps. It felt awkward at first, but now I'm used to performing the transaction myself.

A few years ago, someone forgot to update the store's automated door opening schedule due to a holiday. There was no staff in the store and the store automatically opened the doors and turned the lights on. Shoppers came in and just bought stuff normally at the automatic check outs. When they needed staff members and no one came, they just left without the stuff they were going to buy.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. the mechanic

... really? pretty darn honest customers!

6. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Superstore has all their lanes open now, so the self-checkout takes longer. If I have coupons, I go to a cashier lane.

the mechanic likes this.
  7. compass

compass Junior Member

I used both self-serve checkouts and the cashier. Certain items require a cashier eg. water refill, the self serve checkout won't work until a cashier approve the transaction.

the mechanic likes this.