Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Did You Know The Gov't Keeps Track Of Your Med Purchases?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Mar 24, 2015.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... i purchased some medication at a pharmacy and was told the pharmacy had access to a government database that keeps track of all the medication i buy ...

... i must say, when i heard this it struck me as a TOTAL VIOLATION of my personal privacy. i can't think of any reason why the government needs to know what meds i buy ...

... can anyone explain why the government needs to know what medication we purchase? does anyone else see this as a privacy violation?

... what do you think about this? comments?

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

The database is for hospitals, pharmacies, healthcare providers. If someone comes in unconscious, having a record of their medication is crucial. Some people also go to multiple doctors for get prescriptions to sell. Pharmacies having access to a centralized system helps prevent abuse.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Mechanic, are you talking about prescriptions or over the counter meds?

the mechanic likes this.
  4. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... thanks for the information, milquetoast. however, none of those reasons apply to me or my use of medication, thus i feel i should be exempt from this distribution of my personal data ...

... and yes flutterby, i'm referring to prescription medicine, although many stores DO keep track of all types of purchases through the customer cards they give out ...