Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

DAVIDsTEA's Quangzhou Milk Oolong - Artificial Flavour?

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Mar 31, 2013.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I was confused whether or not David's Tea Milk Oolong had any added fragrance or flavouring agents during processing so I'll sum up some of my research which favours it being an unflavoured variety.

DAVIDsTEA usually lists all of their added ingredients. For their Milk Oolong, there's nothing in the ingredient list besides tea. However, the flavouring could have been added at the processing stage from their supplier.

One tip that I've seen mentioned is artificial milk flavours tend to fade drastically after the first steep but unflavoured varieties will fade gradually as number of infusions increase. From my own taste tests, David's Tea Milk Oolong belongs in the latter category but I doubt this test is definitive.

As for statements from the company, they claims that there's nothing added to their Milk Oolong according to their November 2010 David’s Tea newsletter:
    However, according some some anecdotes online: Nai Xiang Jin Xuan tea from Taiwan can be both flavoured, scented or pure tea while imitations from China (Wuyi Mountains) tend to be flavoured or scented. There's also some statements online contradicting the temperature drop theory as an explanation for the development of the creamy smell and taste.

So why do people care whether or not there's added flavours? The concern over "fake" flavouring is from China's poor reputation in dairy standards (2008 melamine milk scandal).

Evidence that it's unflavoured:
    • Confirmation from David's Tea customer service & their newsletter write up
    • No extra ingredients listed besides tea
    • Creamy taste and smell survives multiple steeps
    • The "milky" taste is complex rather than one-toned
    Evidence that it's flavoured:
    • Very strong scent (condensed milk and candy like), hard to believe tea leaves can be that fragrant on its own
    • Tea sourced from China rather than Taiwan
    If you are still concerned, buying from a large company like David's Tea is probably a better bet than from a smaller store or an eBay seller. With the price drop to $12 for 50 grams, it's also reasonably priced.

2. BrianWolfeV

BrianWolfeV New Member

A strong, almost one-dimensional scent is a sure sign of artificial additives. In general Taiwanese food technology and quality control have a better reputation than China's. When in doubt, buy from a company like David's Tea. Try to look for "GMP certified" or "HACCP certified" on the label as these indicate a system of food safety controls have been put in place by both the producers and the importers.

3. Cachou97

Cachou97 Guest

They are now listing natural flavouring in the ingredients. So this is indeed a flavoured tea.

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Thanks. What a shame. I wonder when they changed that.