Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Chinese Signs Debated in Richmond, Activists Petition for More English!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Mar 15, 2013.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... the proprietors can use any language they choose for their signage ...

... a government in trouble will always scapegoat people, in this case chinese residents. in fact, the bc government is known for previous injustices towards the chinese ...

Night Of GuardianS likes this.
  2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I know you hate the government and all but the provincial government has nothing to do with this. A petition was brought up by xenophobic citizens and denied by their municipal government.

3. Gurrl

Gurrl Guest

This is not racism, don't play the race card. those who emigrate to Canada should incorporate themselves into Canadian society not remain in their own ethnic community. As an English speaking Canadian, I don't feel welcomed or appreciated in Richmond.

vancouverfun likes this.
  4. milquetoast

The fact that you don't feel "welcome or appreciated" reflects your own prejudices. You're not banned or forbidden from stepping into their stores. What authority do you have to define what Canadian society encompasses?

I don't know if it's just me but I've noticed that if you're Asian, you're often not regarded as Canadian as someone who is white even if you were born here. It's not an overt mindset and I hesitate to even call it discrimination, but there's a subconscious judgement.

It's funny because there are Chinese families that have been in BC since the 1800s (maybe even 1788), preceding a lot of "white" families.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stuntman likes this.
  5. the mechanic

... wrong. this matter was forced on the public by the news media which got the story directly from the richmond municipal government. the news media is a partner of the crown. it's all about distracting people from problems with the government by pointing the finger at other groups, in this case the chinese ...

... and anyway, what would you expect the signage to look like in chinatown? :rolleyes:

6. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

Some people just have a thing against the Chinese. They have to pull something out of their asses to try and make it a big deal. To feel in power and good about themselves. These people think they are doing a good favor. Heroes? Or trolls?

the mechanic likes this.
  7. almostfriday

almostfriday Guest

So this is acceptable?

[​IMG]

vancouverfun likes this.
  8. the mechanic

... totally acceptable. it's purchased ad space and the buyer can say anything they want in any language they want ...

9. almostfriday

almostfriday Guest

Hate speech included? What if I bought an ad in chinese that said "white people are disgusting" would you be ok with that? It could very well say that and I'd never know.

vancouverfun likes this.
  10. vancouverfun

vancouverfun Full Member

Does that mean that as long as the Chinese have money, they can do whatever they want in Canada ? Please remember, Canada is not Africa where Chinese can buyout its government. Chinese are greedy and they are exploiting African people and invading the Philippines' sea . Remember how China invaded Tibet and its neighbors ?? Don't let Canada be the next Tibet !!! But if you're a Chinese, I don't expect you to agree with me.

11. Joe

Joe Full Member

The media and people here criticized the French language sign laws in Quebec for being xenophobic - but whddya know? Now the tables are turned, and people here scream about Chinese on our signs. How ironic. Now we're the bigots and xenophobes/

Actually, I kinda admire the French, cuz this is what we should've been doing for years in Western Canada - trying to preserve English or even French as the only true official languages of this country and limiting the use of languages other than those two in daily commerce and the workplace. There's no way that other languages should be allowed to be used in the workplace or on signs if immigrants coming to Canada are required to speak one of the two official tongues to get into the country. It's not fair to them - they arrive and suddenly find themselves excluded from jobs because they don't speak Chinese or Hindi, when they worked their butts off for years trying to perfect one of the 2 official languages just trying to come here.

12. milquetoast

Why so paranoid? I'm sure they read the ad before they approved it. Just because it's in another language doesn't mean it automatically bypasses any content policies and regulations set by Lamar Advertising.

13. Immigrant

Immigrant Guest

Segregation is 2 way street. Ethnic enclaves form not only because immigrants feel more comfortable together but also because white people move away and avoid the immigrants too.

Racism used to be so bad in the 80s and 90s that you'd be stupid to try to integrate. It was easier to live with our 'own kind' as you say.

14. !seds

!seds Guest

i would be lying if i said the bus ad did not bother me. i think we should meet in the middle and have some english but no minimum size. everyone's happy

15. the mechanic

... why did richmond council only vote regarding chinese signage as opposed to signage in other non-english languages?

16. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I would say that this ad is targeted to Chinese speaking people because the ad is about a service where you can be served in Chinese. Likely people who speak and read English would not bother using this service. If you are only targeting customers who can speak a certain language, it would be a better use of the advertising space to just use that language.

17. the mechanic

... very true. there are many non-english newspapers that run non-english advertising. why should outdoor advertising be any different?

... but i ask again: why are only the chinese being accused of using non-english signage and not other nationalities?

18. anony

anony Guest

that ad is for rew.ca a real estate site that serves both english and chinese people. i would say there's no reason to target it to just chinese people

19. the mechanic

... if the bus travels in a predominantly chinese-speaking area why in heavens would the ad be in english?

20. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

The ad is to highlight that the site serves people in Chinese as well. I would say that providing a service in Chinese is a selling point of the site and the point of the ad. If they were advertising that the site serves both English and Chinese, then I would say that they should also have it in English. I doubt that a site serving in English is going to be a selling point, so there would be no need to advertise that fact.

cheeseshredder likes this.