Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Arts & Culture CHAUNTECLEER

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Harris, Mar 24, 2015.

1. John Harris

John Harris New Member

CHAUNTECLEER
    New work by Salt Spring Island painter Florence Roberge.
    Opening Reception Thursday, May 14 5PM-9PM
    Exhibition to May 18th
    Studio 13 Fine Art
    1315 Railspur Alley
    Granville Island
    Vancouver
    Info: 778-893-2207
    www.florenceroberge.com

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

I used to love painting too (before my assault/disability). It's funny how people think it is for an 'artist' vs. how it really is. Painting was like a birth. There was anxiety, frustration, disgust, acceptance. Overall i would find it hard to summarize the whole thing as even enjoyable at the end. Almost all of the time I would dislike what I had done at the outset, only to accept and even like it with time and exposure. And oh so many approaches. Sometimes I would just be totally spontaneous and impulsive. I didn't want to think, I just wanted to do!

At other times I would put a lot of fore thought into it ie. making little sketches...thinking about colors in my head etc. And I always threw out about half of my stuff because it was crap. This is the magic when painting. You can be talented but when a good painting happens, it is still part talent, part luck, part magic. There was always a little bit of agony with each piece...and this is normal.

And pressure? One wrong thing could ruin a whole piece. And you had to take breaks because just like anything, once you get tired you mess up more. More than once I had spent all this time and effort on a piece that was coming together really well, only to sabotage it with some impulsive addition at the end because i was tired and sick of concentrating so hard!

And don't get me started on Acrylic paints! They are great in that they are completely non-toxic so no fumes. But they dry up completely on your palette after a very short time. So after one has taken great pains to mix the perfect shade of Periwinkle Blue, for instance, one has 3 minutes to use it all before it dries into a plastic skin so then you have to try and mix that same shade that you made previously...

So if you're wondering why painters are a little 'wired'...'eccentric'....the process is not as pleasant as one who does not paint might think. ( I still wish I could do it again tho....I just don't have the stamina anymore...it's sad )