Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Tech Canon T2i DSLR Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Of GuardianS, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

This is the camera I have. I'm still using the kit lens. Lens are so expensive. It's a good camera. Full 1080p HD video recording at 30fps. The movie mode also got manual exposure. I had the Nikon D5000 before I sold it and upgraded to Canon T2i. I wanted a camera that not only can take good photos but capture great video.

Here's a great T2i video DSLR film-look (Canon EOS 550D/Rebel T2i)

2. julienphoto

julienphoto New Member

Hi lenses can be expensive but research the 50 f1.8 lens its about 120$ and is as sharp as 2000$ lenses but no zoom but gets a ton of light i used it alot when i started would be great for video too :) gl glad your part of the canon family

3. kosmo56

kosmo56 New Member

Hi, I am looking for a new camera and my husband and I have narrowed it down to this. I have been able to work out a deal with the T2i and the kit lense as well as a 55 -250 lense. Plus a 8mg x200 card in the deal. I think for $1199 CAD.
    Does this seem reasonable?
    Also should we go for the warranty above the 1 year?

4. Night Of GuardianS

$1199 is very reasonable compared to retailers like Best Buy and Futureshop. I bought my T2i with 18-55mm kit lens for $848 when Visions had it on sale. The 55-250mm would cost you like $300+ brand new. Do not buy the warranty. I had 5 different cameras the past 2 years and non of my cameras broke. The 1 year free warranty is enough. Sales rep will "ALWAYS" try to sell you the warranty so they can get commission.

The T2i is a great camera and I love it. You can also look into the new Nikon 3100. Its got continuous autofocus for video just like a camcorder.

5. Rachel Raymond

Rachel Raymond New Member

6. Night Of GuardianS

I'm still using the T2i, with Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX OS. The price for the Canon T2i have dropped to $600-$700, with kit lens. I did have the Canon 60D at one point, but eventually sold it and got the Nikon D7000, which I sold also.

If anybody is looking into getting a DSLR, the Nikon D7000 is the best. Image quality is amazing, better than the Canon T2i. Very high dynamic range and excellent high ISO performance(for low light). The new Sony A77 might be jam packed with features such as in camera HDR, GPS, and panorama mode, but the high 24MP sensor does poorly under low light. More megapixels can mean more noise at higher ISO. Canon was smart to have their new 1D X($8000 camera) at 18MP. The newly announced Fujifilm HS1 superzoom is only 12MP, which is a camera I'm looking to get.

Many now invest in compact interchangeable lens cameras such as the new Sony NEX-5n & NEX-7. They come with APS-C sensor just like any consumer DSLRs. Great alternative to DSLRs. They are small and lightweight. You have the ability to change lenses(very limited lens lineup though). Paanasonic, Samsung, and Olympus also make compact cameras where you can change lenses. They have a Micro Four Thirds sensor. Smaller sensors, but still produce great image quality. Just not as good at high ISO. There's also the new Nikon V1 & J1.

7. Night Of GuardianS

I sold my Canon T2i and got myself the best APS-C sensor DSLR right now, the Nikon D7000! Woot Woot.

8. NicoleJ

NicoleJ New Member

There are now several people that start using good brands of camera that they use on taking different action especially action and sports shots.