Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Can You Be Addicted To Food?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Aug 28, 2015.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... i have a friend who told me he was once addicted to food. he told me he used food as a form of comfort during a painfully unbearable marriage. i couldn't believe what he told me. he's a very thin man and he said that during his food addiction period he blew up to over three hundred pounds!

... does anyone agree that it's possible to be addicted to food? have you or anyone you know ever gone through this? with all the delicious fast foods available these days there are certainly a multitude of temptations for those inclined to overindulge in food ...

... comments?

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Well there are chemical additives like monosodium glutamate or m.s.g., that is added to food everywhere to make it taste salty. It is a neuro toxin and is used because it's proven to increase appetite. So if you're hungry all the time, get this out of your diet. The same with refined white sugar. It raises your blood insulin which makes you want to eat more ie. pseudo hunger.

Over eating occurs with people who are also in chronic pain and in people who have nutritional deficiencies. Emotional over-eating is an obvious phenom. I don't personally think there's anything wrong with it. You can indulge in healthy foods but it's impossible to find ice cream that is sweetened with anything other than sugar these days. Hagen Daas used to make their 'honey-vanilla' little tubs. Those were the days man.... But they don't make it anymore.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. the mechanic

... thank you for your splendid reply, flutterby ...

... i know i'm a real food lover and one of the ways i like to treat myself is with food. i'd be curious to hear what kinds of foods people indulge in as guilty pleasures ...

4. Twenty Fifteen

Twenty Fifteen Junior Member

I wasted 3 1/2 years in Overeaters Anonymous, hoping I would one day be rid of the obsession to overeat.
    It turns out that those meetings were just making my overeating worse.
    I kept beating myself up over my inability to completely abstain from specific foods, my inability to get myself to exercise, and my inability to lose weight and get in shape.

Anyway, I got some blood work done in February, and it turned out that I was not even close to getting diabetes or kidney disease yet.
    Then, in March, I went to a weight management workshop, and the dietitian told me that the "all or nothing" attitude regarding specific foods had to go.
    She told me that allowing all foods eliminates guilt and reduces binges.

So, I left Overeaters Anonymous, and stopped trying to control my food, exercise, and body weight and shape.
    Since then, I've lost 11 pounds :)

the mechanic likes this.
  5. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

I barely cook when I was in China, because I was always too busy to stay home, and there are so many dinner parties and restaurants everywhere. after I moved to Canada, I spent lots of time at home having nothing to do but cooking some food

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    the mechanic likes this.
  6. the mechanic

... great comment, Twenty Fifteen! what you've learned can be VERY valuable to other people struggling with food issues so thank you for sharing! :up:

... sounds a bit lonely, maple leaf, but i'll bet your cooking skills have greatly improved! i'm much the same. my evening meal is a great daily pleasure event for me!

... thank you for your reply! :up:

7. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

food that makes you hungry:
    • white refined flour and products
    • white refined sugar causes a huge sugar spike and then, paradoxically, a huge sugar drop triggering your body to eat again.
    • m.s.g. works on the brain actually increasing appetite

the mechanic likes this.
  8. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

why was this thread taken out of the loop? I posted the last comment yesterday and it was in the current feed but then disappeared.

the mechanic likes this.
  9. the mechanic

... i've just been loving this absolutely delectable fresh baked bread you can buy from a local grocery store here in powell river. it's called alpine bread and it's truly delish! i'm sure they must put sugar in it to make it taste so good. oddly though, no ingredients are listed on its packaging. in fact, no ingredients are listed on ANY of the baked goods you can purchase from this store. however, when i was in vancouver over christmas i bought some alpine bread from save-on-foods and it too was delicious, but they DID list the ingredients on the package and, yes, i looked at the ingredients and saw that sugar WAS used to sweeten it ...

10. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Well, the Cookie Monster is addicted to cookies. But that's not real!

11. Greaseaholic

Greaseaholic Guest

Well that pretty much goes with out saying.
    They can't walk bad knees, can't bend over to tie their shoes, heart attack , stroke.... wouldn't be able to attract a crash test dummy.

But they keep on eating. Just like booze, drugs, what ever