Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Students BMLSc UBC average

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by boyDnK!, Dec 16, 2013.

1. boyDnK!

boyDnK! New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member of this forum so just in case I posted this thread on the wrong 'category'. I apologize.

I'm currently a UBC Science student. In fact I'm already in second year. As we all know, almost all science students are aiming to get into medical school- and I'm one of these hopefuls!

Recently, I'm having this notion of transferring to another faculty, which is BMLSc, its because I don't really enjoy my current major. I know I really want to work in health-care, that's why being in Science (I'm not even learning anything related to medicine) is not an ideal choice.

I just want to ask how's the BMLSc program? What's the admission average to get into the program?. I've already done some research, but it seems like they don't release any admission statistics.

My average is not so hot at the moment, I did poorly last year (mid 70s average), and I know if I keep continuing with my major (brutal science major :mad::mad:), my average will keep going down.

Also, I'm taking a course offered by the BMLSc program at the moment and I'm actually enjoying it. So, I'm wondering if this could be a good option?

Thank you very much for all of your insights! :)

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Hey there,

I remember years back the average to get in was about 85%, must be higher now with grade inflation. I'm pretty sure there was a page on the UBC site with all the program admission averages.

What's your current major? I was in honours physiology but switched out.

3. boyDnK!

boyDnK! New Member

Thank you for your reply 'milquetoast'. I've been searching online and I can't seem to find anything for BMLSc admission except for what they said on their website that the admission average varies every year, so they can't provide anything.

Honours Physiology is a very competitive program, you must be one of those 'excellent science kids'. I applied in physio, but I wasn't lucky! So, currently I'm in biochemistry! It's very challenging!

If the average is ~ 85%, I don't think I will have a chance to get into the program :sad::sad::sad:

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Actually it might have been 80%. Can't recall exactly. Looks like they don't post the averages anymore but they do say for the BMLSc program that they take a more holistic approach in looking at your GPA so it's not just a strict cut off.

If I were you, I'd just do integrated science or general science (do they still have those programs?) and take courses that interest you. I took a lot of EOSC courses.

What's your plan for med school? Going to be very tough if you're GPA is less than 80%.