Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Are all Bluray players like this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elmware, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Elmware

Elmware Full Member

I have a Panasonic Bluray player and I swear that every time I try to use any of the features, the stupid thing freezes up on me. Are they all this bad?

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

What model is it? There might be some info online to remedy it. Try updating the firmware.

3. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... boycot blu-ray. it's a dead format. it was incredibly underhanded for the movie industry to introduce it to the marketplace when DVD is the standard format everywhere. blu-ray is just another last-gasp effort to find cash from the bankrupt film industry ...

4. Elmware

Elmware Full Member

Panasonic DMP-BDT230PC

The firmware is up to date. It seems to freeze up a lot, especially whenever I do anything that involves using the WiFi internet.

5. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... take music formats as an example. CDs were introduced in the mid-80s and are still going strong as the dominant audio format today -- rightly so, it's an extremely solid platform. yet in the same time period the movie industry has introduced something like half a dozen different video formats. that is needless and very disprespectful to the entertainment consumer. such irresponsibility should not be encouraged ...

6. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

@Elmware for that particular model, early firmware versions had issues. The latest one seems to be 1.69. As for the WiFi issue, it may be your connection or router. If you connected it through ethernet (wired network), does it still freeze?

Are you thinking of HD-DVD? Blu-ray has significant advantages in storage and picture quality and is the standard these days. DVD is dead. Blu-ray hasn't had as much of an impact compared to DVD because of faster internet access and affordable streaming services like Netflix (and now Shomi and CraveTV in Canada).