Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Discussion AirMiles... Do they influence your shopping choices?

Discussion in 'Shopping Discussions' started by Superchecker, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Does earning AirMiles, or any points/rewards influence your day to day shopping habits?

I like AirMiles, but prices have to be "attractive" too...

Shell offers up Airmiles, and Chevron offers up Save On Points... So that sometimes influences where I buy gas...

2. Superchecker

About 6-7 years ago, one of our local Safeway stores was "battling" against the new Thriftys store, and was offering up Huge bonus AirMiles offers for about 6 months, like Spend $100- get 150 AirMiles, or Spend $250- Get 400 Bonus AirMiles...

We ended up earning enough AirMiles for 2- 3 Day Hopper passes to DisneyLand! Was like 3,400 or 3,600 AirMiles!(Something like that) Saved us over $300 US at DisneyLand! Made for a great trip!

3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

They used to. After they de-valued the program and added expiry dates to Air Miles, I don't go out of my way to earn them.

I had a terrible experience redeeming my air miles for flights which highlighted their poor customer service :facepalm:. I'd rather shop at Superstore or No Frills for better prices. Though, Safeway does some great products and the occasional bargain.

4. Superchecker

Does SuperStore have a rewards program? "PC" points I believe? Do you collect those? What can they be used towards?

A buddy of mine has a TD Travel Visa, and he charges everything-everyday so as to earn enough travel $$$ to take him and his wife to Europe every 2 years!

5. milquetoast

They do if you use their credit card (which I don't have so I don't collect them). They can be redeemed for RCSS gift cards I believe.

Instead, I use a MBNA SmartCash Mastercard for grocery and gasoline purchases. It's 3% cashback which they send in cheque form once you reach $50. There's no annual fee.

If you sign up via Great Canadian Rebates, you get a $60 bonus once approved too. New cardholders get 6 months of 5% cashback on gas and groceries.

6. mission

mission Full Member

No, if the item is cheaper elsewhere, I buy that item without Air Miles

Not unless, it is bonus offer like 100 air miles for a $10 purchase and I need that 100 air miles to redeem something..

7. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

First Tuesday of the month! 10% off or double the airmiles.

8. milquetoast

^with a $35 purchase minimum :p.

9. Superchecker

It's actually 10% OFF, or 10 X base AirMiles, with minimum $35 purchase, on the 1st Tuesday of every month...

AND, I believe they had an extra offer this week, Spend at least $75 (?) and receive a $10 Gift card towards next weeks purchases... (Something like that)...

SuperStore: has an offer like Spend $250- get a $25 Gift Card towards a later purchase....

10. compass

compass Junior Member

Staples now accept Air Miles

11. Superchecker

Went to Safeway today, they have a Spend $100- get 100 Bonus AirMiles this week...

12. Superchecker

Got 150 Bonus Airmiles for buying particular products today... Spent $87, got 150 Bonus AirMiles, and also saved 39% off their regular shelf prices...

13. Superchecker

EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS OFFER- THIS WEEK ONLY- JUNE 27 THRU JULY 3;

LADNER STORE ONLY:

-SPEND $60- GET 75 BONUS AIRMILES!

-SPEND $100- GET 200 BONUS AIRMILES!!!

14. Superchecker

They are doing it again for this week too...

Went today to get the 20 X base AirMiles, BUT it was better to get the 200 AirMiles!