Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Why is crime in Surrey so high?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shrek, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Shrek

Shrek Junior Member

2. Joe

Joe Full Member

Some areas of Vancouver are like that too. Quite often, police close down entire city blocks in certain areas, chasing, hunting down criminals.

eg - Kingsway, Downtown Eastside/East Hastings, Southeast Marine.

Seems wherever you get low rent districts with few restrictions on reference checks, they often have problems with domestic violence, guns, drugs & criminals congregate there because they're not accepted anywhere else.

3. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

Mostly brown people live in surrey.

4. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... interesting. i got hit with WAY more crime in vancouver than i ever did living in surrey. or any other place for that matter. in fact, i've been hit with major crime originating from vancouver when i don't even live there ...

5. Shrek

Shrek Junior Member

Yeah I was talking to a guy who works in an alarm security company and he tells me these stats are not always correct e.g. he mentions property crime is high in burnaby but it isn't reported. So maybe Surrey looks worse than it really is?

And from the little I know .. mostly brown people don't get involved in major crime (of course there are exceptions).

6. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Working class families and new refugees settle south of the Fraser because Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond is too expensive. Surrey's affordability which means on average lower income and lower levels of education. Higher rates of poverty means more crime.

The region is also growing rapidly so existing social/medical infrastructure and law enforcement probably has difficulty keeping up compared to VPD which is well funded. You'll notice that a lot of the resources that exist for the poor, mentally ill and addicts are concentrated in the DTES in Vancouver. People outside of the Downtown Eastside have more difficulty accessing help. A lot of addicts and criminals that I've worked with can't take time off work to commute to Vancouver and some of them don't like going to the DTES because it's triggering for them.

Mental health and addiction support is huge. Less funding towards mental health leads to more crime.