Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Tech Where? Macbook 17 in. battery?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ema, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ema

ema Full Member

I think I killed my battery...anyways.

A question: Would the old 17 in. macbook battery be the same as the new 17 in. macbook battery? :S
    2nd question: If they're different...where would I be able to buy it? Would the Applestore be able to get a hold of it for me?
    [​IMG]
    I have the macbook on the right (older)
    Ok so this is what happened, MACBOOK PRO 17 INCH BATTERY BULGING ><
    Seriously? I've never ever seen this happen...-.-"
    [​IMG]

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

What's the model number on the battery?

If you're looking to buy the original battery from Apple it'll be around $160 CAD I think.

A compatible (made by other companies) one ranges between $50-100.

Here's one I found on dealextreme: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35004~r.13464348

Focalprice has the A1175 and A1185 generic models:
    http://www.focalprice.com/batteries-chargers/ca-001009002.html

Your other place to check would be eBay, be sure to check user feedback before buying... I tend to ignore all the positive feedbacks and read the negative ones since it's more accurate in my experience.

3. ema

ema Full Member

Thanks, it's Model No. A1189 10.8V so the compatible one you found is right!

**Would you recommend the site?

4. milquetoast

For the battery? I'm not sure... but it'll most likely be inferior to the original. That particular model has no reviews, but replacement battery for the regular Macbook 13" (it's mislabeled) on the site does: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15972~r.13464348

In general dealextreme is awesome. The quality of the products are not the best obviously, because they're mostly china products, but shipping is free, lots of unique items and the price is right (DS/DSi flashcards, keychains, laser pointers etc).

I checked eBay and some are a few bucks cheaper, but it's still made in china stuff so DX might be a better option since they're actually an established website. They have a return/exchange policy but I've never had to deal with them. Regardless, they ship from Hong Kong so dealing with customer service there might be a headache.

Should post a picture and review of it if you do order it :p.

5. milquetoast

Just noticed your edit. If it's the bulging battery problem, they're supposed to replace it for free aren't they? Take it into an Apple store.

6. ema

ema Full Member

^ Oh? Really?
    I'm not on warranty anymore though ><

And yeah bulging like that...so now I'm plugged into the wall outlet. I think I'm the one who caused it though since my laptop has been overheating etc. But thanks, I'll bring it into the Applestore tomorrow to talk to them about it.

7. milquetoast

It might depend on who you get, but if I recall correctly a lot of people got theirs exchanged for free well after warranty since it was considered a battery defect.

8. noneccc

noneccc New Member

You can get it from Apple store.

9. ema

ema Full Member

i ended up paying for this in the end because i didn't buy applecare in the first place.