Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Where can I find these exotic south east asian cakes?

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by kuih_lover, Jan 28, 2013.

1. kuih_lover

kuih_lover Guest

T&T sells a whole bunch of Asian cakes, even the cassava cake from Phillipines but not these pandan coconut cakes from Indonesia/Malaysia.

1. Kuih Dadar
    Pandan flavoured pancake with coconut filling.

[​IMG]

2. Onde Onde
    Steamed pandan flavoured glutinous rice flour balls with semi-liquid filling of palm sugar, rolled in grated coconut.

[​IMG]

The palm sugar filling
    [​IMG]

Ps. Pandan is a kind of leaf which makes the cake green

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandanus_amaryllifolius

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Contact Sweet Chili Cafe on Victoria Dr. I just looked at their catering menu and they have Kue dadar gulung @ $1.50 each (min 30). I don't see Onde Onde but I'm sure it's something that they can make as a custom order.

Here's their contact info:
    Angeline Tan
    604-537-0011
    angeline [AT] puffyswan.com

If you aren't adverse to other pandan desserts, Vietnamese shops and bakeries along Kingsway have some. In my household, we buy pandan flavouring (readily available) to make our own stuff. Good luck!

3. kuih

kuih Guest

they have this at penang delight cafe!

4. kuih_lover

kuih_lover Guest

Thanks for the info, cheeseshredder and kuih.

Just love these pandan coconut/palm sugar cakes.

5. sdfgd

sdfgd Guest

hi kuih_lover

every single malay restaurant will have kuih dadar as a dessert choice for around five or six dollars. if you are buying a lot, cheapest would be to cater from a place like sweet chili.

kaya malay bistro $6
    [​IMG]

banana leaf $6
    [​IMG]

penang cafe delight $4.95
    [​IMG]

kedah house $6
    [​IMG]

malaysian hut restaurant$5.50
    [​IMG]

6. kuih_lover

kuih_lover Guest

Thank you, sdfgd for the information on the various restaurants offering kuih dadar and prices.

I don't normally eat at Malay restaurant because it is a "frustrating" eat, I mean I pay $10 for a meal, come out of restaurant, still feeling hungry. I spend $10 at a western or Hong Kong chinese restaurant, I leave the restaurant with a happy stomach. In other words, the portion is too little for Malay restaurant. The same goes for Indian food, another frustrating eat.

Having said that, I will visit a Malay restaurant when I get a chance. At around $5 for 2 pieces, it is a little expensive. Probably it is worth it since no other place or bakeries has it.

Ps. That Kuih lapis in the photo looks good too!

7. lumix

lumix Full Member

Any food that has coconut in it is delicious. These cakes looks delicious.

8. Forum Vancouver

Forum Vancouver Administrator Staff Member

Moved to Food & Drink Discussion :).