Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

What Generational Group Are You A Member Of?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Aug 26, 2015.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... is there a specific generational category you'd put yourself into, like being a baby boomer or generation x or y or a millennial? or are you a modern-day hippie? or a yuppie?

... having been born in 1966 i consider myself to be generation x. how about you?

... comments?

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I'm Gen X as well. I actually had to look it up to find out which generation I am part of. I've heard of the Gen X term before, but I think I've only ever had one conversation with anyone that discusses that term and generation.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. Bine

Bine Full Member

Being born before 1945, I am of the Greatest Generation.

the mechanic likes this.
  4. Twenty Fifteen

Twenty Fifteen Junior Member

I was born in 1986.
    Growing up, those of us born in the 80's and 90's were thought to be Generation Y.
    But sometime in the late 2000's, the term Generation Y was replaced with Millennial.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. maple leaf

maple leaf Full Member

I was born in 1963 in China, had all my education in mainland China. I immigrated to Canada in 2006 when I was 43 years old. now I work as a sales associate for a Canadian brand.

the mechanic likes this.
  6. the mechanic

... thanks for your replies! some great insights above!

... Stuntman, the term GENERATION X came from the 1991 book with that term as its title written by BC author douglas coupland ...

[​IMG]

... Bine, i agree, everything about the character of those born in your era does make them THE GREATEST GENERATION! my parents are from that era and i very much admire the work ethic and values they possess. there will never be a generation like that again ...

... yes, Twenty Fifteen, isn't it interesting how the generation Y term has completely disappeared and been replaced by millennial? but aren't millennials of a younger generation than Y? that's my understanding, so both terms should still be applicable ...

... and maple leaf, being born in 1963 would make you a BABY BOOMER!!! :up:

7. Twenty Fifteen

The reason Generation Y are known as the Millennials is because people like me were born between 1982 and 1999 (before Y2K), and graduated high school between 2000 and 2017 (after Y2K).
    In my case, I was born in 1986 and graduated high school in 2004.

the mechanic likes this.
  8. the mechanic

... thank you for your reply, Twenty Fifteen ...

... but might i ask how when you graduated from high school factors into which generation you belong to?

9. Bine

Bine Full Member

When I was at school, I thought I was going to war. My older brothers Howard and William both served in Europe, while Father was in Ottawa. I was very lucky the war ended when I was in high school. Sadly, some of my brothers friends never made it home. Our paperboy, Bill Taylor died at Arnhem late in the war. I remember him, he was nice to my dog and he was nice to me.

This was so many years ago but I still remember the black drape on the Taylor's windows. I asked why the windows were in black, and was told that Bill had died in the war. I was 14.

the mechanic likes this.
  10. Twenty Fifteen

People born in 1982 graduated high school in 2000, which means they were born before Y2K and graduated after Y2K.
    People born in 1999 graduate high school in 2017, which means they were born before Y2K and graduate after Y2K.
    Y2K is the deciding factor.

the mechanic likes this.
  11. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I grew up during the cold war. There was the concern that a WWIII between the two great superpowers will destroy our entire modern civilization. The song, "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" was about growing up in that era. The cold war officially ended with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

the mechanic likes this.
  12. the mechanic

... poignant post, Bine! thank you for taking the time to recollect the memory and share it with us! :up:

... i appreciate the clarification, Twenty Fifteen! many thanks! :up:

... yes, i know of what you speak, Stuntman. i grew up in that same era which kind of peaked when ronald reagan became president ...

... interesting what you say about that bruce cockburn song. i always took it to have something to do with people in revolutionary central america, places like el salvador. not sure why, that's just what came into my head when i heard the song. central america was probably in the news at the time ...

... thanks for your comment! :up:

Stuntman likes this.
  13. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

Bruce Cockburn actually said he wrote the song about growing up in the cold war. However, many people interpret the song as lovers in a revolutionary war. He acknowledged that he liked that interpretation as well.

the mechanic likes this.
  14. the mechanic

... is that right? i take it you're a fan, Stuntman. i like that "rocket launcher" song he did too ... :up:

15. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I'm not exactly a fan of his. I do like this song as well as "People See Through You". I'm not so into Rocket Launcher. I just pick up little bits of trivia here and there. I like looking up song lyrics so I can sing along with the song. Some lyrics sites also have song meanings and that is where I found out about "Lovers".

the mechanic likes this.
  16. the mechanic

... getting back to the topic and the distinctions between generation X and generation Y, here's one way of describing it: gen xers were teenagers in the '80s while gen y were teens in the '90s, they were the demographic that identified with kurt cobain and made grunge a huge phenomenon. they're the ones who went to woodstock '94!

17. Bine

Bine Full Member

I was a young man in the 1950's and I remember when rock and roll first started, I was in my 20's. I liked it because I was a big jazz fan. In the old days late at night you could get jazz radio stations from Seattle, San Fransisco and Las Angeles if you had a decent radio. I remember seeing Elvis and the Beatles on the television but I must admit they were a bit after my time.

I bought my first television when I started in with the city back in 1954. I paid a months wages for an Admiral 13 inch black and white television that got three channels and required a 40 foot antenna! The television and the antenna was around $135.

the mechanic likes this.
  18. the mechanic

... wow! great anecdotes! thank you so much for posting your comments!

... it seems totally incomprehensible to me that you were around when rock 'n' roll started. i mean, rock music has been around MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE and the way it's such an integral part of our culture, i just can't imagine it not existing at some point in time. such a notion is kind of bewildering in a way ...

... great stuff, Bine! :up:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  19. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

I am of the Generation Groovy. Woodstock, the Beatles, protest the Viet Nam war. The Brady Bunch.

the mechanic likes this.
  20. RDL

RDL Guest

Actually, Gen Xers were born between 1963 and around 1981.
    So, most of the teens that were old enough to go to Woodstock '94 and most of the teens that were old enough to listen to Kurt Cobain were Gen X, not Gen Y.

the mechanic likes this.