Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Vancouver Tibet Kitchen

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Dec 11, 2011.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Here some pictures of the take out dinner I had at Vancouver Tibet Kitchen a few months ago.

tl;dr - Great dumplings and soups. Overheard that the owner is considering selling the place, so go while you can. While we were waiting for our food, some Mainland Chinese people came in to look at the place. This was a few months ago, but the last time I checked, the restaurant was still there.

Edit: Uh oh, their domain seems to be expired :sad: http://vancouvertibetkitchen.com/

Owner: TSERING NORSANG
    6591 Fraser St.
    Vancouver, BC V5X 3T6

Dumplings: Chicken Momo, Beef Momo, Vegetable Momo, Sha-Bhaley (Traditional Tibetan Beef Patty)
    Noodle Soups: Chicken Then-Thuk, Beef Then-Thuk
    Rice: Manchurian Chicken Fried Rice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The soups were very hearty and filling. I found that the chicken version had a much cleaner and tastier broth though. Nothing special about the fried rice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No pictures of the interior of the beef patty, but they were good! The dumplings were by far the best part of the meal. Note that these are thick skin and more meaty compared to other styles of dumplings.

They also had Traditional Tibetan Tea (butter + salt) on the menu. High calorie, hearty & filling foods make sense at high altitudes (~5 km high)!

In addition to Manchurian and Tibetan cuisine, their menu listed a bunch of Indian dishes.

One point of confusion: the take out and dine in menus were different. Similar sounding items came with different names and prices, so I'm not sure if each menu had exclusive items or if it was just an arbitrary difference in nomenclature.

eg: Sha-Phale vs Sha-Bhaley? Ghatuk vs Then-Thuk?

You can see both menus here to see what I mean: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/1555748

2. MooGooMouse

MooGooMouse Junior Member

They don't have yak! That's the the one Tibetan thing I want to try.

3. mission

mission Full Member

Thanks for posting photos of the food. Looks great.

4. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

cheese can u speak chinese?

5. milquetoast

^Nope, don't know why you'd bring that up in a thread about Tibetan food though :p.

6. milquetoast

Maybe they use yak butter for their butter tea, but I doubt it :D. Can you even get Yak here? I wonder how much of a taste difference there is, I'd imagine it'd be something like buffalo.

7. milquetoast

The restaurant has closed since February 15, 2013. It's being replaced by a chinese restaurant called Yu Xiang.

They have plans to re-open at another location according to facebook.

Their website is up again, looks like they registered .ca and abandoned the .com: http://www.vancouvertibetkitchen.ca