Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local Vancouver Street Food Kerfuffle

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by milquetoast, Apr 4, 2011.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I'm not sure if anyone's been following the online buzz about the new street food cart selection but there was a little debate on a local blog about the selection process. The original post (from Vancouver Street Eats) along with all of its thought provoking comments has been deleted and the blog has since been turned over to somebody else.

Nevertheless, I saved a copy so I am reposting bits of it because it's a good read and I'm sure many of the sentiments shared will resonant with many of us, especially in regards to frustration with how the city handles things.

With that said, it may be the case that James/Amy no longer want the post and its comments online. If that's the case, please let me know and I will remove it promptly.

FWIW, these were the street vendors chosen:
    • Cartel - West side of 500 Dunsmuir. Korean fusion; beef, pork, tofu Korean tacos.
    • Chawalla - East side of 800 Howe St.. Indian teas, sweet and savoury parantha
    • Didi's Greek - South side of 1700 Robson St.; meat and veg. souvlaki, tzatsiki, spanakopita, Greek salad
    • Feastro the Rolling Bistro - Thurlow St. at West Cordova; Seafood taco, prawns, fish and chips, oysters, pork taco, seafood chowder, salad, prawn bisque, yam/sweet potato fries
    • Finest at Sea - SE corner of Robson and Hornby; fish sandwiches, fish tacos, coleslaw, veg kebab
    • Gourmet Syndicate - East side, 900 Burrard St.; Asian fusion, pork sliders, soba noodle soup, banh mi, rice balls, duck salad, trimmed chicken karaage, fruit
    • Kiss Kiss Banh Banh - NW corner, Howe and Robson; sub sandwiches, salads, coffee
    • Mangali - North side, 900 West Georgia; Mediterranean; shish kebob, lafah, couscous, chickpea/beet/carrot/radish salad
    • Mom's Grilled Cheese Truck - 600 Hornby St., Grilled sandwiches, soups, chili
    • Off The Wagon - 600 Howe St.; Tacos
    • Osa Tako Hero - South side, 800 West Pender; takoyako
    • Roaming Dragon 2 - East side, 800 Burrard; sandwiches, matzo balls, shepherd's pie, soup, chili, fruit
    • Soho Road Naan Kebab - West side, 900 Howe St.; Indian fusion, chicken tandoori burger, beef kebabs, masala fries, chai
    • Tacofino Cantina - 1800 Morton St.,; Mexican , tacos, burritos, tortilla soup, fruit and veg skewers, juices
    • Nu Souvlaki - North side, 800 Dunsmuir, meat and veg souvlaki
    • The Hut - South side, 1200 Pacific Blvd.; Vegetarian, wrap, veg burgers, quesadillas, sweet potato fries, wraps
    • The Juice Truck - 200 Abbott St., Juice - fresh fruit and veg juices and smoothies
    • Re-Up BBQ - South side, 800 Robson; beef brisket sandwich, black bean and corn chili, southern sweet tea, fruit sodas
    • Trailer - West side 1100 Burrard; Asian BBQ, meat, fruit, veg.

Original post:

Comment from KimHo of http://imonlyhereforthefood.com/:

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Comment from James in response to KimHo:

Anonymous Commenter:

Comment from James:

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

it's just a huge circle jerk between the upper class and rich business owners with connections. and do we need so many stands selling tacos? if you read the list it's TACO TACO TACO TACO TACO and that's not counting the vendors that already sell them now. so much for variety..eh?.. i hate this city sometimes.

4. Twitterer

Twitterer Guest