Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Students UBC Sauder or SFU Beedie tips for applying?

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Geje, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Geje

Geje Guest

Hi,

I'm planning to apply to SFU Beedie or UBC Sauder since my goal is to be a CA next year.

I'm currently in grade 11 and I heard there is something called a broad based application or supplemental application or something along those lines.

But I need to know some tips on what they are looking for...So far I only done a couple volunteering events, I got a job for a month, won some awards and will be volunteering this summer. So far my marks are around 87-89%. I only know one person who was my in class tht got into SFU Beedie with 88%.

If you can, can you please tell me what organizations you were apart of that was impressive on these application or any other tips. Note I'm not athletically, musically or artsy talented.

2. ema

ema Full Member

UBC Sauder, anything with an 8 starting doesn't cut it for them. The broad based application at UBC Sauder is really ridiculous. Get a 94% and a lot of leadership experience and then you'll be almost guaranteed a spot. Sauder kids are stuck up because this really coats them up, I mean, you hear people at SFU Beedie cause they didn't get into UBC Sauder not the other way around. It's unfortunate... =/

Could you list your job, awards and extracurriculars? I don't want to be mean but it's a little late to really start something big, unless you can do it everyday...? They base it on leadership more than just being a follower.

SFU Beedie, I'm not sure but my grad year, everyone who was rejected from UBC Sauder got into SFU Beedie so I'm going to assume that it's not difficult lol but I could be wrong. (Average needed to be at least 86-90% and got in with a not so impressive list of extracurriculars compared to UBC Sauder students).

3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

They really did mess things up by removing provincials eh? So much simpler when I graduated.

1. You're short on time, get started ASAP. I suggest researching exactly what UBC & SFU are looking for. Find out what's on the supplemental application in advance and find activities that fulfill their criteria. You need to play the game, but always be genuine and don't pad. Try finding things that you like to do, it's more fun and you're less likely to look like you're "doing it for the hours".

2. Find or create opportunities where you can demonstrate leadership.

3. Think of less conventional things to put on your application (eg: unique life and travel experiences). They're often neglected and downplayed by students but some admission committees do value those things.

4. Don't get hung up about school brand names. Only parents (especially Asian ones) and high school kids care. Friend of a friend got 100% on practically all his provincials and chose a BBA at SFU over a BCom at UBC :) despite getting into both programs.

5. If you don't get in, it's not the end of the world because there are many alternative pathways with the same endpoint. You can transfer in after first year, diploma programs, other schools, etc.

4. ema

ema Full Member

Yeah, marks are very inflated. Very. But UBC has always asked for a supplemental to apply to their Sauder program lol.

5. MikeGillis33

MikeGillis33 Junior Member

6. lioele

lioele Guest

Extra-circulars are super important! I know someone who got 95% and she got rejected really early, not sure why but a 94% doesn't necessarily guarantee you a spot. On the other hand, someone got in with a 89%. . . There are some really bright people over at SFU who should have gotten into Sauder but didn't and there are some that don't really deserve to get into Sauder but got in. I say luck is also an important factor.

7. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Truth.

8. MrCones

MrCones New Member

Hi there,

I'm a first year student at SFU Beedie. I know for a fact that multiple students have been admitted to UBC Sauder with high 80's this year so you definitely have a chance at admission with your grades. Admission at Sauder and Beedie has definitely been very competitive this year and will continue to be in the future. Whether you'll get in or not will be based off how well you are able to sell yourself in your personal profile/broad based application. Not to scare you or anything but a friend of mine who applied with me to SFU Beedie got rejected with 96% average because his extracurriculars + broad based application was heavily lacking.

And to comment on the whole Sauder vs Beedie thing, I urge you to do your research on both schools as they are both fantastic in their own ways. The "Sauder Bandwagon" is absolutely ridiculous.

9. nameischloe

nameischloe New Member

10. i will share my own experience. I didn't apply to beedie however I got into sauder and desaultels and queens business. I'm currently in grade 12 with average 95. Try to do leadership peer tutoring is really good, they like people who organize stuff like i started a guitar club in grade 12 and I didn't do much in grade 11 hover I do have a job where I am a shift manager for like a year now and I've peer tutored for two years. It's really about how you portray yourself, whentering writing suplex entry essays all of your activities need to be shown from the perspective they want. Focus on global and leadership. Also lol for the key words that they mention on the website and incorporate those. get an adult to look over your essays, and I can't stress enough how important is submitting all your applications early! I really hope that this helped good luck! Also I didn't do this but I know some take online courses to bump up their average just make sure it's in the accepted courses list of the universities you want to go to. And go talk to the admission officer in the faculty makes a huge difference to see if you are a right fit and if you want to go to that university. Good luck!

You May Also Like...

1. UBC Arts or SFU Beedie by KingJames23