Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Students Trinity Western University?

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by JuanMP, Feb 2, 2013.

1. JuanMP

JuanMP New Member

I'm a 17 year old student from the North Shore and I applied to several BC universities including TWU. I was given early admission and a $20,000 scholarship over four years (5k/year). The school is very expensive so that 20K won't cover much.
    I've tried to look up reviews online and can't find any. The only fact I have about them is that they had the 2nd highest student satisfaction. This really surprised me. I only know one person who goes there so just one opinion isn't enough.

Does anyone know anything about how good it is? Not in rankings but the school overal?

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I too only know of one person that went there and they were pretty religious. My advice would be to stick to the public universities like UBC and SFU as it is the safer option. You also leave more doors open with the public route. Is there a particular program at TWU that interests you?

Small schools tend to have high student satisfaction rates, but those surveys should always be taken with a grain of salt.

3. JuanMP

JuanMP New Member

I have applied to UBC and UVic but I got accepted surprisingly fast at Trinity.
    In order of interest for me is: UVic, UBC, TWU, and CapU (now I don't need to consider)

I'm getting into Political Sciences and moving into Law. I'm also passionate about acting. The only thing that was special about Cap U and TWU was that they both had schedules that had a schedule with theatre and polisci working. In UBC they were too far and UVic they told me it I couldn't but I could get involved in the actual theatre productions.

I know that UBC is one of the top three schools in almost every academic category in Canada (according to my source MACLEAN'S 2013 University Rankings) but I've also heard that UVic has a better campus community; not having gone to university, I don't know what that means. My friends' siblings and have gone there and taken Polisci and said it was great. Every sibling who I know that went/goes to UBC is in a science, engineering, medical, or mathematics program.

I myself am catholic (that goes to mass once every 6 weeks) but wouldn't want to be dealing with super religious rules I'd that is what TWU is like.

Main thing is that it's my backup and with my grades I'm likely to get accepted into UVic and less likely UBC but I want to prepare for the worst case scenario.

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I've been to both UVic and UBC as a student so I can comment a little bit.

UBC is HUGE. Larger area, more people, farther away from the city. There's more to do at UBC but because the majority of students are commuters, it can be overwhelming. It's difficult to get that stereotypical college experience unless you live on campus or try very hard. UBC is also more cliquish. People tend to stick together in the same social circles. There are a plethora of clubs and activities to join but because the campus is so big, it's hard to feel like you're part of a unified the campus community. You only ever feel like you're active in one small part of it. Disjointed.

UVic in contrast is a VERY small campus. That alone makes you feel like you're part of the whole campus. Everything just feels more integrated and cohesive. People are friendly and you don't feel lost in a sea of people. There's still plenty to do despite the small size. Victoria in general is a very friendly place for students. There's a church near campus that offers free dinner on Tuesday nights with no catch. Businesses will also donate free produce and bread to students during the event.

I went to UBC first, so experiencing UVic after UBC was a culture shock. Keep in mind that these are just my subjective experiences.

5. JuanMP

JuanMP New Member

I really hope that UVic accepts me.