Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Sareena

Sareena Guest

Hi I've road test tomorrow. Can someone please give me an idea about route? Is it extremely hard? I'm nervous

2. user

user Full Member

I didn't think about that possibility! That makes sense, thanks.

ConventionalMan likes this.
  3. Syncmaster

Syncmaster New Member

Can you also send me also send me this list?

4. NiceGuy604

NiceGuy604 Junior Member

Hi again guys,

So long story short, I went to do my class 2 learners knowledge test with the air brake endorsement. The ICBC lady showed me some medical sheet and it asks if I have or ever had any of the listed 14-15 medical conditions before. I did (sleep apnea) but it is fully under control). The ICBC lady then said I can't do the Class 2 knowledge test and told me that I need to go to my doctor and have him complete the RoadSafetyBC Driver's Medical Examination form (attached below). It then needs to go to Victoria and approved from that point. I even told the ICBC lady that it's for CMBC but she apparently went to ask someone else too.

I then contacted the Translink HR department and they told me NOT to do any medical test. HR mentioned that I'm not required to take the medical exam at this time as it is one of the final steps in the process. Also, it is not to be done by my family doctor but by a clinic that all applicants go to.

ICBC is really confusing me and causing so much confusion!!! Please help guys and let me know what the proper procedure is. Thanks as usual!!

[​IMG]

5. ConventionalMan

ConventionalMan Full Member

I'm not sure on this but I would further follow up with HR and see what to do next. It's kind of a catch-22... you can't get the permit without the ok from a doctor and you can't go forward to the medical test without the licence! UGH. Call back HR and ask how they expect this to move ahead is my suggestion.

6. NiceGuy604

NiceGuy604 Junior Member

Hi ConventionalMan,

So that's how it actually works? I need to do the RoadSafetyBC medical exam through my doctor first since I acknowledged that there may have been a pre-existing condition (fully under control)? When iCBC asked me I thought it was the best thing to tell the truth because I didn't want to be dishonest and have it bite me in the butt at a late date.

The HR member told me yesterday that the medical testing is done at the end. And I'm not supposed to be doing any other Medicail until then. I will try getting in contact with them again to see what they recommend. Thank you.

7. ConventionalMan

Yeah I'm not sure how it works in that case. That's why I suggested to call HR again and ask for guidance. Good luck.

8. NiceGuy604

NiceGuy604 Junior Member

Thanks ConventionalMan, I have gone ahead and contacted them and appreciate the info!

9. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Reposted again as of today's date!!

10. Transit604

Transit604 New Member

CMBC Customer Information Clerk - Casual Any information on the testing for this position ?

11. ConventionalMan

Interesting conversation yesterday with a brand new driver just out of class 14 (just graduated in the past few days). A few of them got sent to BTC until the new sheet starts as there has been a bit of a shortage of drivers (lots of route training?) and I also noticed several from the previous class here as well. LOTS of OT was still being handed out. He wasn't happy about it and quite stressed over having to learn a bunch of routes for just a couple of weeks as they will all be back at VTC in September, but they can and do shift manpower at times to where it is needed most.

He also told me one of his classmates got moved to BTC as well and quit on the first day after having a stressful day and making a few mistakes and wrong turns. I was actuall quite shocked. I can't pretend to know what is the trigger for someone else, but I do have to say this:

We can all make mistakes everyday, wrong turns happen and people can be horrible sometimes, but... It does get better after that first few solo stressful shifts. Your confidence grows as you learn the routes and how to handle the bus in traffic. It becomes second nature. Yes there can be "bad" days anytime but please, after putting yourself through the 6 weeks of stress and hardship to get here, give it chance. Once you leave under those circumstances, there is no going back.

A friend of mine used to say "Do not be afraid to try something new, give it at least a year to see if you truly love or despise it and, for pete's sake, don't let fear and common sense stop you!" Words to live by LOL

Anyway, good luck to those it training and just out, keep us posted and don't give up before you've even started! :cool:

Janfeel, NiceGuy604, Tezzer and 3 others like this.
  12. Transit604

Transit604 New Member

Got any info on the testing for customer information clerk ?

13. Tezzer

Tezzer New Member

Hi guys , Just an update, got through the interview, and passed the road test. Looking forward to the next stages. I already have the class 2 learners permit with air brake endorsement, any idea how long the next stages will be. Ball park?

Superchecker likes this.
  14. Superchecker

There are new classes every 2 weeks.

The process to getting a start date can often take 6 months or even longer.

They usually take a break over Christmas too, unless really in need of more trainees.

15. NiceGuy604

NiceGuy604 Junior Member

I actually heard from a friend of mine who had the same thing happen with a fellow classmate. Apparently, the classmate didn't really like it either and/or couldn't handle it due to stress and decided to quit very quickly after graduation. From what I've read, it's an intense training program and that you go through a lot. However, I also realize that perhaps it's not the right career for some people due to their own personal reasons. But you are definitely correct, it's probably best to reach out to the current CMBC operators for help and give it a good solid shot before packing it in.

Superchecker and ConventionalMan like this.
  16. Nicedriver

Nicedriver New Member

Hi guys. I've been away from the post for a little while but everything is going great. I have passed the medical and my training is starting September 12th. I applied for the position back on May 6th so it took 4 months for me between application and training.

Tezzer, Superchecker and user like this.
  17. user

user Full Member

I'm glad to hear that. (h5) Congrats and good luck with training!

Nicedriver and Superchecker like this.
  18. user

user Full Member

As for me, I'm currently waiting for a reply back, as I've applied for Conventional! :sneaky:

Superchecker likes this.
  19. Superchecker

Good luck to everyone!!

August has been extremely busy in Richmond. With 140 Op's leaving as of Labour Day, they all are entitled to route training for the depot they are moving to, so that means the depot had like 450+ extra shifts to cover this month! There has been sooo so much OT this month. Unfortunately some shifts have gone uncovered. I'm trying to do as much OT as I am able, but sitting for 13-14 hours a day, everyday, can be a tad tiring- I'm especially feeling it in the lower back lately.

Sept 5 brings in a new chapter for CMBC. NVTC and the old OTC depots finally decommissioned. HTC officially open! Lots of scrambling around this weekend to move buses to where they are needed.

The first 2 weeks of September are always a bit of a mess. Back to school for many; Back to Fall routines for many. Buses get swamped as everyone finds the right trip for their commute. Just as everything finally calms down, then Mother Nature usually throws in a rain storm or 2 to cause even more fun out there.

New drivers, doing new routes, out of new (to them) depots. Cardboard signs on some routes; Be patient. Don't sweat the small stuff. Don't bother TCOMM if you don't need to, they are busy enough most days.

Take your breaks! Never pass up a chance to use a washroom!

Try and have some fun; keep smiling,

On a side note: I'll be away until Sept 18. I'll still try to keep an eye on things here, but might be slow in posting or replying while I am away.

The Conventional Operators Vacation sign up for 2017 should take place late Sept or Early Oct. We all get a sign up time BUT no sign up reliefs for AV sign up. If you can't be there in person- leave a choice slip or have a classmate sign for you. If not: Your Union rep will sign for you!!

Enjoy the final few weeks of Summer!

S

Tezzer, user, ConventionalMan and 2 others like this.
  20. ConventionalMan

Wise words sir!

See you out there (I'll be in Richmond a few times a day for the first week, doing some 410's and C98's - perhaps we'll cross paths!)