Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. thisandthat

thisandthat New Member

Question: I was reading in the earlier pages regarding a situational question about late night, young girl has a bike but bike rack is full - what do you do?

Curious what one's answer would be. My thoughts would be to address the situation. How late is it? Is it a bad neighbourhood? How full the bus is? Would it be a hazard for the bike to be on the bus?

One could state to stick to the rules and tell the girl no, as per policies, and how long the next bus should be arriving?

Any bus drivers here encounter a real situation like this and how did they address it? Thanks

2. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

It's all seniority based. Some new hires get forced out to other depots such as Burnaby or North Vancouver.

I would suggest that Surrey and now even Richmond are the hardest depots to get out to but not impossible.

Nicedriver and ConventionalMan like this.
  3. Janfeel

Janfeel New Member

thanks man :) i am so excited, I will keep you all posted :)

4. ConventionalMan

ConventionalMan Full Member

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave haha!

Seriously though, it completely depends, like Superchecker said, on seniority and how quickly that changes from depot to depot and sheet to sheet. There are always people moving, quitting, retiring etc so it's quite fluid. I was able to sign at BTC during consolidated signup with 10 months seniority but there may be a longer wait now as lots of changes are happening with the NVTC closing and HTC opening.

Another way to move is to put your name on a holding list. This is then used (in order of seniority again) when a property needs more ops to cover any scheduling shortfalls, you will be transferred and trained on routes at the new depot. There are also some times when a depot needs more ops and the holding list is empty and they will outright ask for volunteers. Keep in mind, there options aren't always available for all depots at all times.

Generally speaking though, most moves happen at consolidated which means you could be there for approx one year from September unless one of the other options are available.

user and Nicedriver like this.
  5. Superchecker

Large group of Shuttle Trainees (OR some sort of training) out in Steveston today at my 9:20 trip.

user likes this.
  6. user

user Full Member

That's interesting because back when I was trained in shuttle, we did not travel out to Steveston.

7. Does anyone know - if you failed your final training exam, are you able to re-apply? How long do you need to wait?

8. m&m

m&m New Member

Hello! Does anyone know if you are able to re-apply if you have failed your final driving exam? Is there a waiting period? (I can’t seem to find the answer to either question via google!)

9. user

user Full Member

Hi, I have heard you can re-apply in either 6 months or 1 year. (Most likely 1 year) Best to contact HR for the exact info.

10. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

No idea, we didn't even go to Richmond during my training. Could it be they were heading out to Hamilton for orientation? I know we need to meet at Oakridge and head out there in groups on certain days. I have yet to sign up yet.

Superchecker likes this.
  11. Superchecker

Worked a 13 hour day yesterday! That's huge for me!

Chatted with one of the farebox dudes at the end of the shift; and cash fares are way down. They have been slowly cutting hours in Farebox and he said as of Sept, in Richmond at least, they'll be down to every second night emptying the fareboxes.

I think the actual truck that goes around to all the SkyTrain stations has never been busier! Most pay and upload more $$$ onto their cards at SkyTrain stations.

Didn't get a chance to vote; but am happy that it got accepted (82%). Some complain that we should be getting 10% raises and we're in the best situation for a strike, but personally I'm fairly happy with the way things are. There's always 10-15% who think we're getting shafted.

12. Nicedriver

Nicedriver New Member

Hi guys. Just did the road test (the one after the interview). The instructor told me at the end he could not tell me the result and that HR would call me maybe today. Is that how it works or I just did not pass?

ConventionalMan likes this.
  13. ConventionalMan

ConventionalMan Full Member

No that's how it works. Technically they cannot tell you pass or fail but if you prod a bit, you can get a pretty good idea.

Nicedriver likes this.
  14. Nicedriver

Nicedriver New Member

Hi guys. I got the call from Raj this afternoom and I PASSED the road test .
    Next step reference check. Thank you for your reply ConventionalMan. I was a little worried when the instructor told me at the end he could not say the result of the test. Very happy now.

user and Superchecker like this.
  15. Nicedriver

Nicedriver New Member

Hi guys. Can anybody tell me how much is the current (before the new contract) biweekly take home pay of a Coast Mountain operator working a 40 hr shift?

Superchecker likes this.
  16. Superchecker

Aren't we at $22 an hour X 75 hours every 2 weeks= $1,650; and then roughly 30% to deductions, so roughly $1,100 to start? Ballpark?

Nicedriver likes this.
  17. Superchecker

April 2015 rates: Listed on TransLink's website.

6 weeks Training is $21.64 an hour;

Then $23.18hr for 8 months;

Then $24.73hr for 8 months;

Then $27.82hr for 8 months;

Then top rate: $30.91hr.

We work a minimum 37.5hrs a week= a minimum 75 hour pay period. Approx 1/3 of your gross income goes to deductions.

Working past 8pm at night adds 75 cents more per hour (soon to be 90 cents).

We just agreed to the following raises as well:

Apr 1, 2016: +0.5% (Retroactive)
    Feb 1, 2017: +1.3%
    Apr 1, 2017: +0.5%
    Feb 1, 2018: +1.3%
    Apr 1, 2018: +0.5%
    Feb 1, 2019: +1.3%

We keep our Time and a half premium on Sundays, and Holidays.

December 25 increases to Double Time, regardless of which day of the week it falls on. (Used to only be on a Sunday)

Nicedriver and ConventionalMan like this.
  18. Superchecker

FYI: Transit recognizes 12 Stat holiday days each year;

New Years Day;

(New) BC Family Day;

Good Friday;

Easter Monday (Regular weekday service levels, but at stat pay rates);

Victoria Day;

Canada Day;

BC Day;

Labour Day;

Thanksgiving Day;

Remembrance Day;

Christmas Day &

Boxing Day (Some routes operate on Saturday service levels)

Every year, usually at the big Summer Consolidated Sign up; Convention Operators get asked what they would like to do with their stat days in the following year.

You can do nothing, and simply get paid for each stat day as they occur; OR you can "Bank" one, or two, weeks worth of Stat days and take them like vacation weeks. The only thing is you CAN'T take Stat weeks off during "Prime Time". Prime time is essentially whenever the kids are out of school.

You get asked annually and can do different options each year. One year don't bank, but the following year bank 1 or 2 weeks.

We also rotate choices of vacation weeks too. Once every 6 years you get FIRST choice (SUMMER!); Once every 6 years you get LAST choice= Jan-Feb, and maybe Nov.

Nicedriver likes this.
  19. Transit604

Transit604 New Member

Passed the initial testing going in for the panel interview ... What type of questions could I be asked ? Any advice , would be helpful ! Thanks

Superchecker likes this.
  20. Transit604

Transit604 New Member

Any advice for the panel interview ?