Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. GuyinNorthVan

GuyinNorthVan Junior Member

Seems like a fast track training!

2. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

Really? There were a lot of people waiting to get it done. She told me there's a back log of checks needing to be done. It is possible it may come sooner. Fingers crossed

Superchecker and GuyinNorthVan like this.
  3. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

More like regular timed training, goes by really quick after the first two weeks.

1.5 to 2 weeks after that, you get to learn about the trolley, roam around town, and then revenue service with your instructor.

Then line training for the last couple of weeks like @Superchecker mentioned. Last two days consist of evaluation and graduation.

For the folks who are about to start class, bring a note book and drink lots of caffeine!

The first class of 2016 recently graduated, their class started with 12, only 7 of them made it.

Class 5 is set to start this coming Monday.

GuyinNorthVan and Superchecker like this.
  4. GuyinNorthVan

Wow...
    What could be the recipe to fail? Not studying and failing the tests or not being able to drive a bus?

5. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

When I went thru training in the 90's it was a nearly 99% pass rate.

I think it's now closer to 80%.

Training is pretty intense! They cram a hell of a lot into 3 weeks or so.

Shift work; traffic; passengers; company policy; Trolley overhead; different types of buses; the down and out; etc; etc; etc. Can be a tad overwhelming.

user and GuyinNorthVan like this.
  6. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

Is there a failure rate for the shuttles? Are there people who don't make it through the training??

7. Superchecker

I'm not that up on Shuttle training or results.

8. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

Sorry wouldn't know...

9. user

user Full Member

In my Shuttle class, everyone passed. I think another class had one person that didn't make it, but for personal reasons. The success rate for Shuttle seems to be higher than for Conventional.

TypeRNammer likes this.
  10. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

Ok thanks. And how was the road test? Do you need to do a pre trip inspection as well? Do they prepare you well for the road test?

11. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

One more thing.. Do you get to wear the uniforms while going through the training period? What do you get in regards to the uniforms?

12. Superchecker

I think you get sized on day #1 or even before training. A tie used to be a requirement while in training too. I suggest dark runners or dark shoes.

13. user

user Full Member

The road test itself wasn't too bad. A pre-trip inspection is done first, then the actual driving. You will be given a link to a video that shows you exactly how to do the inspection on day 1 of training. As long as you watch and listen to that video whenever you can, you'll do fine. What also helps is that you will most likely be paired off with another classmate (so 2 trainees per bus) and so you will go through the inspection twice (once per trainee), which helps you memorize the steps better.

You get about 90 min of driving time per day (assuming there's two trainees per bus), which should be enough to prepare you for the ICBC road test. But this may not be enough time to prepare you for the "actual work" itself. On day 9 of training, you do get some real work experience, but I felt a few more days of that would've been helpful.

Superchecker likes this.
  14. user

user Full Member

I didn't get my full uniform until day 7 of training. All I got before then was a reflective vest. You get dress shirts (long and/or short sleeves), pants, shorts, a vest, a rain jacket or a fleece jacket, a cap or a toque, a clip on tie, and a water bottle. Until you get your full uniform, you can ask your instructors what you can wear. (We were allowed to wear casual clothes)

Superchecker likes this.
  15. Superchecker

If anyone wanted to try and get their foot in the door as a SERVICEPERSON TRAINEE, there is an active posting up as of Feb 29.

"Servicepersons" generally start on nights, 4 nights a week, sweeping out buses, refueling buses, checking oil and coolant levels, driving empty buses thru the wash rack and placing buses where they need to go in the yard for either maintenance issues or to be booked out for the next days assignments. Occasionally assist Mechanics as needed. Roughly $20hr to start and regular raises up thru $28 an hr.

MUST have a regular class #5 license, and be trainable to get a class #2 with air.

Preference is given to applicants with a mechanical background.

www.translink.ca/careers and THEN "Coast Mountain Bus Company".

With rising seniority comes the opportunities for afternoons or even day shifts.

16. Superchecker

17. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

Superchecker likes this.
  18. GuyinNorthVan

NEWS UPDATE!!

I did my medicals on Monday. Today HR called me everything is good to go!.... I start training March 14 !!!!!!!!! Omg....:D:fyeah:

Tomorrow I should be receiving the job offer!

19. Superchecker

Congrats! Try to free up your evenings for homework and quizzes for the first few weeks! Say goodbye to your social life until training is over!

GuyinNorthVan likes this.
  20. GuyinNorthVan

LOL !
    Thanks I will!