Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

I'm hearing that we'll lose between 65 and 80 drivers, out of about 410, to other depots.

2. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

I can give you a more modern prospective. I just became a recent graduate like last week.

Class 20 and class 21 had about 12 people in those classes.
    In my class we had about 12 people, one person didn't make it due to having problems with driving a trolley. Class 21 lost one guy due to a road test. Class 1 of 2016 has about 12 people I think when I did a rough head count.

Percentage wise @Superchecker is right about the passing rate.

From day 1 to day 5, you learn about the air brakes system in depth, and day 5 is when you go out to ICBC and write the knowledge test for the air brakes portion. Day 9 is road test day.

Each day you get about 1.5 hours of drive time and about 1 hour or less to do your pre trip prior to driving. Keep in mind you usually be paired up with another class mate to share the driving time.

And yes for the first two weeks you will be very overwhelmed with a lot of information, and you're excepted to retain the information that they teach you.

One more thing, what's your start date? I can probably try to lend you a hand on how to approach the pre trip inspection!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Superchecker likes this.
  3. Fairbox

Fairbox Junior Member

Hi ,

My start date is Jan, 18.

Yes any help will be greatly appreciated.

Superchecker likes this.
  4. Superchecker

If I was you I'd be studying up on Pre trip Inspections, and the workings of the Air Brake system.

Less important is Fares, Zones, and when Zones are in effect.

TypeRNammer likes this.
  5. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

Sweet, I'll check back in the forum here closer to your start date.

Most likely I'll be hanging out in the lunch room during my spread.

Until then, absolutely DO NOT worry about reading up on policies and procedures. They'll be teaching you that I believe after the road test or after you guys do your written air brakes test.

6. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  7. ConventionalMan

ConventionalMan Full Member

What he said! :laugh: Pretty much bang on...

You will get LOTS of driving time and practice before the various tests. Concentrate on one step at a time per the class agenda and you will be fine.

Feel free to ask if you need anything else!

Superchecker and TypeRNammer like this.
  8. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

Hello everyone!! Brand new to this site. You guys all seem so nice and helpful, I was wondering if I could get a little help here. I applied for the community shuttle operator. I passed the video test and have a panel interview scheduled for the 28 th of Jan. I am currently working in a women's homeless shelter as a housekeeper in the Downtown Eastside. 95% of the women there are heavy drug users as well as mental health issues. I have been there for over six years now and in that time I had a lot of training on how to deal with conflicts and how to recognize the signs of someone who is very agitated and could potentially explode. I guess my question is what kind of people are they looking for? Are they mostly interested in people who are firm and strict and not let anybody get away with anything. Or are they looking for people who avoid confrontations as much as possible and are very friendly to people? Me, I'm the last one. I don't like conflicts and avoid them as much as possible. But I am firm and will assert myself if they are doing something they shouldn't be doing. It's all in the way you talk to them.
    Anyways, I'm sorry if this is so long but I'm so nervous about this interview and I'm wondering if I have a chance getting this position. I will be doing my job assignments next weekend. I'm looking forward to that.
    Thank you and any advice from anyone would be awesome!!

user, TypeRNammer and Superchecker like this.
  9. Superchecker

Avoid confrontations, drive safely, yes there are rules, but safety trumps rules.

Drivers meet and greet, and inform. They to not enforce.

Best of luck.

If you did not know: Shuttle is temp status to start, meaning an extra 14% $$$ in lieu of benefits.

Shuttle buses are currently based out of Oakridge, Port Coquitlam, and Surrey depots.

Wages can be found under Bus Operator Opportunities at www.translink.ca/careers/

user and TypeRNammer like this.
  10. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

To add in to what superchecker said in the post above, there might be some questions in the interview which will test you on your customer service skills.

Like myself, prior to getting hired, I was pretty nervous for the panel interview.

But with the advice from superchecker and Conventionalman I some how made it through.

And do keep in mind, my interview was not picture perfect. But I did dress nice and appropriately for the occasion.

In terms of what TransLink and CMBC are looking for, I don't have the slightest clue. As one of the forum members here took a crack at the interview a few times, but still didn't go through. Ended up working for BC Transit in the Fraser Valley.

user likes this.
  11. Superchecker

FYI: Just noticing an INTERNAL (Open to existing employees only) posting for more CUSTOMER INFORMATION CLERKS- FTR, $22.13 an hr.

There has been an EXTERNAL (Open to the public) posting for Casual/Temp Info Clerks on the website since August!!

www.translink.ca/careers/ and THEN click onto "Coast Mountain Bus Company".

If you click onto "HandyDART", at the bottom of that Careers page, instead: They need CASUAL CALL CENTRE REP'S too, for their Cloverdale office.

Dozens of new postings added over at www.civicinfo.bc.ca/careers as well...

TypeRNammer likes this.
  12. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

And finally the customer information clerk position is now off the external website.

But internally it's still available.

Superchecker likes this.
  13. kdf

kdf Guest

hello all .....passed the video test and have an interview feb 1
    i did all 3 assignments ..they are looking for 3 supervisor references from the past 5 years
    here is my question i have worked for the same company for 23 years..i have had only 1 supervisor for the past 5 years

14. kent

kent New Member

i have an interview in feb
    they want 3 superviser references from the past 5 years ...i have worked at the same place for 23 years i have 1 supervisor

15. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

Try getting in touch with the HR department as soon as possible in regards to only having one reference.

Ask them if there's a way to work with it or around it.

16. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

Good evening everybody!!
    I went on my first "ride along" last weekend. The C23 route. The bus operator was super nice and friendly. He answered a lot of my questions and told me things I had no clue about. I'm planning on going out again tomorrow. Either the C73 or C37 out in Poco. Not sure which one yet. Maybe I'll do both, it can't hurt. Anyways I was quite surprised to hear that they could stick you on a route in a town you are not familiar with. But it sounds like fun, a challenge I'm totally down for. I was told we could bring a GPS on board so no problem. The coolest is that there is radios on board so you can have your favourite radio station on! My interview is next Friday... so nervous!

TypeRNammer likes this.
  17. Superchecker

Hello! Welcome! I wish you the best of luck!

Feel free to post as much info as you feel comfortable about the hiring process. We didn't have Community Shuttle when I went thru 25 years ago now.

I'm also sending you a Personal Message.

Again, Good Luck!

18. easttom

easttom Guest

hi everyone, I'm also new here. Anyone knows West Vancouver Transit? I have seen their recruitment for bus operator. does anyone have related experience with them?

19. kent

kent New Member

thanx.....i shot them an e mail but have not heard back from them yet

20. Superchecker

All I can tell you is that West Van is operated separately, by the district of West Van. Still union, slightly less than CMBC wages. They post every winter for extra Spring and Summer staff. Roughly 10 bus routes or so.

Good luck!