Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. I've been watching this forum for awhile now, glad to see everyone is doing well with school :)

My question is: I applied for conventional a year and a half ago and got to the reference stage (long story, I've got good references now).

My goal is to become full time conventional, would it be worth it to apply for the PT shuttle? I need to pay bills... So I can't afford to work 8-12 hours a week :( I have no problem being shuttle (if I can get close to FT hours) if it can lead into conventional sooner than later.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Cheers.

2. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

Class 21 just started!

Day 11 for class, 2nd day of trolley's.
    I'm having a blast, nothing like a good challenge. And hammer to the pedal once you're done clearing all the special works and switches!

3. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

What happen during the reference stage?

4. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Hello! Welcome! Sorry, didn't notice your post until today.

I would suggest applying for any and every posting to get your foot in the door! I worked here for over 2 years before getting on as a Conventional Driver!

Best of luck!

5. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

Our class just had a last minute sign up. Oh my goodness it was the most information over load session ever!

I got lucky as a junior as I signed a regular piece of work and the rest of my class mates were holiday blocking.

One of my classmates took 3 hours just to select 17 weeks of work!

Superchecker and ConventionalMan like this.
  6. ConventionalMan

ConventionalMan Full Member

Haha it IS overwhelming the first time or two for sure! I actually have holiday blocked for the last 2 sheets and now it's all I will do! I prefer the variety in the work and the hours and go absolutely nuts if I have to do the same driving more than a few days at a time. It works out great. Once you get the hang of how to look up the work, it goes much quicker! I chose all of my work for this upcoming sheet in about 30 min, with about 30-40 min of "prep" time in the sign up room before hand looking at the work that was still available. :) It's not for everyone but if you don't need a set schedule, it's the way to go as far as I'm concerned!

And take it from me, your lucky to have signed up and didn't end up on the board! Not my favorite thing! lol

Just curious what your signed work is like? Are they not sending new graduates out to suburban depots right now then?

7. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

@ConventionalMan

Monday Tuesday Wednesday my day starts at the VTC depot at 644 until 1838.

Monday I start the morning from VTC, I start at Broadway and Fir as a 9 Boundary Loop, then go back to UBC loop, then take the bus back to the door. Then I pick up an 8 bus later in the day.

Tuesday and Wednesday I'll be doing the 16 and 17

Saturday it starts at 1244 until 2243, I'll be doing the 16 and 17

All of the above has 4 hour spreads.

Sunday is a straight piece from 1616 until 2228. Not exactly straight because I'll be relieved at Marine station and I'll be relieving the bus that's right behind me. And this is for the 17 route.

All of this is the January sheet until April

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    ConventionalMan likes this.
  8. Superchecker

Those are shifts I did back in the 90's!!

I now am able to work just mornings, such as the 5:20 til 13:38 I did today!

TypeRNammer likes this.
  9. Superchecker

I'm becoming to senior to HB anymore. Too many weeks with no one ahead of me on vacation!

ConventionalMan likes this.
  10. ConventionalMan

Ah the 4 hour spread... I'm FINALLY starting get away from those. No splits more than about 45-50 min coming up and that's perfect for a quick lunch and decompress break! :D

The 9 is decent, the 8 is def better that the 20 and the 17 is pretty good too... I came to hate the 16. Have fun! lol

Your Sunday shift is pretty typical of what's called a walkover, still considered a straight piece if it's less than 15 min between if I'm not mistaken.

Congrats and welcome from this almost newbie. Enjoy it!

TypeRNammer likes this.
  11. ConventionalMan

Ha for me it simplifies my work... less to choose from but I'm ok with that right now!

12. ConventionalMan

From my personal experience...

Shuttle is a great foot in the door if driving is what you want to do. It's a walk-not-run kind of intro to being an operator and it worked for me. When I first started, I was considered casual but I was able to make myself available for as many hours as I wanted as long as I was safe under the National Safety Code (NSC governs the number hours you may safely work in a given period). I was regularly getting more hours as a casual but I had to work everywhere the shuttles run. It was 10 months before I got a regular reduced time spot and then 2 months later I went into conventional training.

As far as getting into conventional sooner... I needed to hit a minimum of 500 hours to apply then it was no problem. If you apply and get hired as a conventional operator, you will of course start training right away...

YMMV of course but that's what I did and its been 2 years altogether now, with the last 10 months as conventional! Any questions, please ask!

13. Johnny J

Johnny J New Member

Hi everyone,
    I just got a email asking me to come in for my video test this week and I've read many pages of this forum to try and get a bit of an edge and from what I've learned is that having a non confrontational approach while keeping in mind of passenger safety mixed in with common sense is the best approach.
    I've asked 2 drivers if I could pick there brain a bit while they did there root and both where very helpful. I've even read a procedure manual for bc transit witch was a bit helpful wish I could find a trans link manual \(._.)/
    So I was hoping if there is anything anyone on here could suggest to help me get somewhat of a leg up?
    Getting this job would be a dream for me so I'm trying to do everything I can to make it come true
    If I get past this first stage I'll post some more about myself and probably ask more questions
    Thanks for in advance
    John

14. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

I don't mind the 4 hour spreads as there are many things I can do.

I'll find out hands on once I start doing the 16, looks like one round trip is gonna be super long!

15. The company I was working for at the time was switching over company brands and I was pretty much done with the place. Turns out that 2 of my 3 references were bitter for me leaving and (despite giving me their well wishes and saying they'll vouch for me) straight up ignored all contact from cmbc. Cmbc said 1 reference wasn't enough.

I've been working for some great people with a new company since then and have for 3 solid references lined up, stoked to move onwards and upwards!

16. ConventionalMan

Good for you!

Don't panic and don't overthink it. You seem to have a good idea of what to expect... Safety, safety, safety, customer service. In that order lol.

I wouldn't get too bogged down in the manuals - yet. There is a lot of stuff that is testing what YOU would do in certain circumstances. Part of the testing I'm sure is building a bit of a profile for you. The manuals at this time are really too much information and may confuse you.

I was always told at every step not to worry about the policies - I didn't work there yet so how was I to know them? I think a lot of the testing is looking at attitude, decision-making skills, interactive skills and trainability.

Just go in with the basics you already have in mind and you *should* be fine! :up:

17. ConventionalMan

I think just over 2 hours if I remember... the 22 is a little longer. And with traffic? Wheee! :D

I don't mind the longer routes, usually 3 round trips max and you're done! The routes that are short and go in circles can be a little boring. For instance, this last Friday night, I did 6 round trips on a 130 and then and N17 to finish the night at 2730 (That's 3:30 in the morning in CMBC time :))

For a REALLY long drive, I'm not sure much can beat an N19 from Downtown all the way to Surrey Central, around and hour and 20 min each way.

Superchecker and TypeRNammer like this.
  18. Superchecker

Just noticing in the latest edition of The Buzzer newsletter, that TransLink is advertising the fact that they are in need of BOTH FT and PT Community Shuttle Operator trainees.

www.translink.ca/drive and then "Coast Mountain Bus Company"!

19. TypeRNammer

TypeRNammer Full Member

Well 2nd time out doing revenue service for training. Did the 41 route with a trolley! Everyone looked all puzzled but still boarded the bus heading to Joyce Station. Going back the other way, I went on the wrong wires on the POPO switch in front of OTC, moved the poles to the correct wires, and after all of that, had the dreaded FAIL light come on. EPU'd acrossed the street, called TCOMM to see if they could fix the bus.

Ended up waiting for a bus to get back to the depot, waived down a NIS bus, turns out it was a sick bus heading back to the yard.

What a whacky day!

Superchecker likes this.
  20. Superchecker

Speaking of wacky days: My rear doors started "acting up" this morning: They wouldn't close on their own. Big safety issue so i had to take the bus out of service and meet up with mechanic who deemed that the bus needed to go back to the shop. So I drove empty to the end of the line and swapped with a garage bound bus.