Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Transit Jobs NOW!!! Coast Mountain Bus is HIRING!

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Superchecker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Kr6505

Kr6505 Full Member

Actually I went back and checked my emails. They got back within a week after medical. After that they will tell you your application is on hold til the next step. That took one month for me. I got really worried but then they got back and asked for my drivers abstract and drivers claim again. Once they get that you get an offer letter and a time and date to fill out documents.
    Don't give up!! You are right there!! You are in... just a little more time!!

Driver and Superchecker like this.
  2. Driver

Driver New Member

It was actually more reassuring that someone had waited longer than I have. :( If they didn't make me get a note from my family doctor I'd be less concerned, but then the clinic receptionist said that happens all the time.

Next week will be the third week...

3. macrider

macrider New Member

Home work isn't bad at all!!! Just take notes as u can always refer back. Also a lot of information on my cmbc

4. Driver

Driver New Member

I passed the medical! So relieved. I knew it was likely but when you're not working it's a bit scary to watch the weeks go by.

No training date yet, but it sounds like they're doing training classes every two weeks.

Superchecker likes this.
  5. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Great news! Yes, new classes every 2 weeks, approx 12-14 in each class.

New posting up today looking for 4 Operations Supervisors. Most likely filled by current Acting Supervisors.

Driver likes this.
  6. Superchecker

Came across a company bulletin announcing that the community shuttle routes in North Vancouver will be operated by West Vancouver blue bus as of September. CMBC will take over the shuttle routes in New Westminster, and the 609 is Tsawwassen.

And then they'll accept offers from contractors to operate the routes in Langley and Maple Ridge.

7. Driver

Driver New Member

Weird about the blue bus. Is there any chance of that happening with conventional? I live in North Van and was hoping to work nearby.

8. Gc13

Gc13 Junior Member

I was super paranoid at every step along the the way right up until I finished my probation.

Driver and Superchecker like this.
  9. Superchecker

Rare posting for a CMBC Depot Coordinator (Clerk) $29 hr to start.

Probably filled from the Temp pool, but is active if interested.

10. Superchecker

Hi Gang this note is for all current/new Conventional Operators:

The annual big system wide Consolidated sign up is coming up fast! Starts July 17! Takes nearly 4 weeks for all 3,000 to sign up, in seniority order. We'll be choosing our Fall shift assignments, longer sheet, goes thru til mid December.

Some switch depots, some near the bottom get forced back to Vancouver.

Approx 60 more operators will be needed out in Richmond, because the #49 service is being moved back to Richmond after being moved to Vancouver last September.

I don't know all the changes that are coming in September, but TransLink is continually adding service hours and improving service in many areas.

Another thing that happens at the consolidated sign up: everyone is asked their "intent" for the following calendar year.

Every year you have the options of banking 0, 5 or 10 days worth of overtime, as well as banking 0, 5 or 10 days worth of stat days.

I would highly recommend banking some overtime, and then have access to days off with pay later in the year.

Now stat days: we earn 12 stat days as year, and get paid for them as they occur. If you bank any of them, you would not see the $$$ until such time that you took your bank stat days as a paid week off. You'd take your banked stat days off just like vacation weeks, BUT not during prime time. Prime time is basically whenever kids our off from school.

FYI: We'll be choosing our 2018 vacation weeks either late September or early in October.

Enjoy!

Driver likes this.
  11. Driver

Driver New Member

Thanks for the info. How does scheduling work for someone like me that won't be done training until August?

And is it difficult to get transferred to Burnaby?

12. Superchecker

If sign up is still on, you'll sign up in seniority order. If sign up is over, you'll be given set days off and be put on the spare board until the next sheet change. The Spring and Summer sheets tend to be shorter, like 10 weeks long each; the Fall and Winter sheets are longer like 16-17 weeks long each.

Occasionally suburban depots do need more operators. They take operators from the holding list first, then look for volunteers, and then occasionally force the most junior Vancouver spareboard operators out to fill vacancies.

13. Gc13

Gc13 Junior Member

if you're training finishes in August I'd day it's a coin flip if you'll be able to sign for September sheet or not .

either way , you'll start on spareboard when you're out of class til the next sheet begins. (which wouldn't be long).

newly trained operators are placed where man power is deemed needed the most. most often this is VTC , however this isn't always the case (I was sent to BTC). Id roughly estimate 1 in 5 classes get some of their ops sent to other depots out of class but this is just a wild guess. given that your class finishes so close to a next sheet id count on staying in Vancouver for atleast a little bit.

Burnaby is considered a fairly junior depot . they tend to put transfers through every few months, but your seniority may or may not allow you to make the cut off . Id wager you could be in Burnaby in 3 months or less though. There's an 84xxx already in there, it doesn't take long.

Driver likes this.
  14. Superchecker

The posting for Conventional has been reposted again as of July 6.

15. Driver

Driver New Member

Is the September sign-up sheet right on September 1st or close to it?

I hope I can get to Burnaby quickly since SW Marine is quite a trek from the north shore.

Superchecker likes this.
  16. Superchecker

September sheet always starts on Labour day.

Sheet change always takes place on a Monday.

Driver likes this.
  17. Superchecker

FYI, Coast Mountain Bus Company has approx eighty five highway style Orion buses that will need replacing in the next few years. The company is considering double deckers as replacements! There is a new bulletin out a week before sign up advising operators who sign any routes that currently get assigned Orion buses that they could be assigned one of the two test double deckers coming this fall!

18. marcerickson

marcerickson Junior Member

Superchecker likes this.
  19. marcerickson

marcerickson Junior Member

I re-applied for Conventional (Job ID 20170421) in May after failing to proceed in the hiring process after an interview on Feb 16, 2016. I wasn't shortlisted.

The position was re-posted (in May?) and I withdrew my application for Job ID 20170421 and applied for Job ID 20170506. I haven't yet been contacted.

The postition was reposted July 7.

Should I withdraw my application again and re-apply for the newest posting? Or am I shooting myself in the foot by doing so?

Superchecker likes this.
  20. Superchecker

As long as they have acknowledged receipt of your application, just leave it.

They only repost every few weeks for those who have to wait the 6 or 12 months before reapplying.