Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Local The Search for Halifax Style Donairs

Discussion in 'Food, Drinks and Dining' started by SkyShepherd, Sep 3, 2010.

1. SkyShepherd

SkyShepherd New Member

First of all, I am from the Halifax area (transplanted 12 years ago), and I admit to the occasional craving for a Halifax style donair. I have found a few contenders, but I have yet to find a store that really delivers.

Here have been my results to date:

Peggi's in Chilliwack - Pretty close, although the sweet sauce isn't sweet enough, and they are lacking in the white onion department.

Donair Hut in Langley - They got the meat right, but again, the sauce fails the test. Another establishment that is convinced everyone needs red onions.

Istanbul Donair, also in Langley - good meat, but only savoury choices for sauce

I am looking for a real Halifax Style Donair experience, without having to fork over for a plane ticket (LOL!).

I would love to hear feedback from others to see if anyone has found the perfect Halifax donair in the GVRD. It would be even better to hear from someone who has experienced a true Halifax donair first hand for comparison's sake. Thanks for looking, hope you can help!

Sky

cheeseshredder likes this.
  2. CBinBC

CBinBC New Member

I too have resided here in la la land north for just over a decade. Like wise, the quest for a proper halifax style donair is ongoing. I've tried one of the places in Langley and found that it was a reasonable approximation. I also located a place on 12th St. in New West. First time it was excellent, the second time it tasted absolutely terrible. I ended up getting sick. I guess next trip home i'll have to take a detour from Stanfield air port into Halifax or Dartmouth before heading on to CB.
    Happy hunting

cheeseshredder likes this.
  3. SkyShepherd

SkyShepherd New Member

Thanks for your feedback CBinBC (I like that, it's kinda catchy).

Sorry to hear about your luck in New West though!

When I go back, I always make that stop at Roberts by the bridge, and last time I was out there, you could even buy Chris Bros. Donair meat cooked, shaved and prepackaged from Costco!

As you might imagine, I always bring back a supply of meat tucked into freezer packs in my checked baggage after a trip back east :)

There are a couple of good sauce recipes floating around, so I may try to get some meat from the places around here that seem to do it right, and experiment with the sauces to try a home brew.

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Any chance the Costcos out here carry it? I know they carry decent prepackaged montreal smoked meat.