Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Students The Real Vancouver

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by kiarakiller, May 7, 2012.

1. kiarakiller

kiarakiller New Member

Hi guys,

next month I'll be in Vancouver to study and do an internship in cinema/tv (people told me that Vancouver is great in this field).

How is really this city? Someone tell that is a real paradise on Earth, someone else that is boring and so on, I don't know what to think...

Please, give me a feedback :)

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

How old are you and where are you coming from? Vancouver is pretty fantastic in the summer. Lots to do, especially if you're into outdoor activities. Since we're a smaller city, things aren't open as late compared to more "global" cities. Depending on what you're used to and your interests, you might find it boring or you might love it here.

Lots of multiculturalism. Great dining options, especially ethnic cuisine.

Vancouver is known to be a bit cliquey and some find it hard to break into social circles and meet friends, but since you're coming here to study it might not be too bad.

3. kiarakiller

kiarakiller New Member

Hi, thank you for the answer!
    I'm almost 25 and I'm Italian.
    I think to be quite outgoing, so I hope not to have difficulties to know people there.
    I'll stay by a family; how are Canadian people, in general? I can't imagine them reserved, but very polite, I don't know why, since I have never know one yet :)

My interests are not discos or else, but I prefer pub or rock/blues concerts and I appreciate the idea to make some sport (it's expensive?)... I hope Vancouver could be suitable. What do you exactly mean that clubs are cliquey?

Are you Canadian? What's the best way to reach Los Angeles, maybe with a train or flight?

Thank you so much!

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I am a local.

People here tend to stay among their own group of friends, hence an outsider might find it hard to "break into" social circles. This reputation is for Vancouver though, it differs from city to city. With that said, it's not impossible to make friends here and people are certainly friendly once you get to know them, you'll just have to be the one to take the initiative in starting conversations. It is definitely easier in the summer when there's more activity (less rain).

By outdoor activities, I meant things with nature (hiking, windsurfing, kayaking, etc.). Here is the view from a popular hike ~1.5 hours drive from Vancouver: http://www.johnharveyphoto.com/PanoramaRidge/GaribaldiLakeLg.jpg

Plane and trains (look up Amtrak) are both options for going to LA. The distance from Vancouver to LA is about the same as from Rome to Minsk, ~2300km. If you are flying, it may be cheaper to depart from Bellingham, USA instead of YVR.

5. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Welcome! We do get more than our fair share of rain here- like for 9 months out of the year, but when the sun does come out: Spectacular city!

As for travel to Los Angeles: It's often 1/2 the price to fly out of Bellingham, Washington, which is like maybe an hour south of Vancouver (PLUS Border wait times)... Amtrak runs 2 trains a day too from Vancouver...

Lots of different ethnic areas to the region... There are 22 different cities and municipalities that make up "Greater Vancouver"... I'd be guessing closer to 3 million people in the region...

If you have any public transit questions: www.translink.ca or I could probably answer your questions....

6. kiarakiller

kiarakiller New Member

Sorry, I'm not sure having understood well: both going by flight from Bellingham and from Vancouver with Amtrak is a day of trip?
    Good to know that flying from Bellingham is cheaper :)

Thank you again for your help!

7. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

The Amtrak train runs between Vancouver & Eugene Oregon, with connections on to California... Takes 12 hours just to get to Eugene... Google Amtrak CASCADES for all the details...

You can fly out of Vancouver (YVR), or possibly SAVE up to 50% by venturing south to Bellingham (or even Seattle) and then use Allegiant Air to get to LA... Less taxes and fees down there...
    There are buses (Quick Shuttle) as well as the train running between Vancouver & Seattle...

A 3rd, seasonal, option is the coastal cruises: Cruise ships head north from LA to Vancouver late April and into May to reposition for the Alaska season... In Sept- early Oct, those ships head back south... It's an approx 2 night cruise between San Fran & Vancouver, and more like a 3 night cruise LA- Vancouver... We've done these approx 4 times now, and really enjoy them...