Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

The Fight Against Weeds Is A Never-Ending War!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the mechanic, Jul 10, 2014.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... well, i finally stopped procrastinating and did some yard work today ...

... i'd put off doing any weeding around the house this season (mainly because i think i might be allergic to something in the plants), but the other evening i was out on the porch and i noticed this one plant on the side of the house that had just turned into a fucking MONSTER! it was reaching for the heavens -- about thirty feet high! -- and rubbing up against the electricity wire. so today i finally got the clippers and went outside and did some clearing. i actually had to use a saw on the plant to cut it down. i'll probably do some more clearing tomorrow ...

... it just isn't summer around my place if i don't do some yard work! but man, the battle with invasive plants is just an unwinnable war ...

... comments?

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Man must live in harmony with nature Mechanc. Its fine to cut them down just no chemical herbicides. Must be nice to own a house......as long as you earn enough to pay the property tax that is......tough to do if you get sick or become disabled. You shouldn have to lose your home if you cant pay the property tax due to loss of income.

Try to mentally make contact with the weed and see if it has any messages for you.

the mechanic likes this.
  3. the mechanic

... thanks for your reply, flutterby ...

... chemical herbicides? what a brilliant idea! although using such a thing seems like it might not be good for the environment ...

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

My fight is currently against aphids.

the mechanic likes this.
  5. the mechanic

... thanks for your reply, milquetoast!

6. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Ladybugs eat aphids

7. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

@flutterby indeed they do. Ladybug larva will devour them. The problem is that it's difficult to get them to stay around, especially on a balcony. They'll eat a few and then fly away.