Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Discussion The Daily Steal launch fail?

Discussion in 'Shopping Discussions' started by Social Buyer, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Social Buyer

Social Buyer Guest

Talk about bait and switch, i think they couldn't set up any deals so they had to postpone the ipad contest since they weren't ready to launch... i understand some delay but it's been weeks :mad:.

Maybe it's all a scam and they're just collecting our information to sell to a 3rd party. my friend told me that the contest was rigged, the katy perry tickets they were given away went to one of the Daily Steal staff's friends.

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Doubt it's a scam, just a lot of poor planning on their part. By the time they give out the iPad, the iPad 3 will be announced :D.

3. Social Buyer

Social Buyer Guest

Well their facebook page has disappeared. guess they ran off with our information. Most of their prizes were credits which are useless and cost them nothing. i bet all the real prizes went to their friends. Got all our info for no cost.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the daily steal :)

5. david

david Guest

the daily steal is a scam no question about it, let's look at the evidence:
    1. their facebook page no longer exists
    2. there has been no updates on thedailysteal.ca or on their twitter since february
    3. only prizes they've given out are "credits" which costs them nothing!!
    4. the real prizes went to the owner's friend

they offered over $20,000 in prizes but the bulk of those were credits which are useless since they never launched. their real prizes went to their friends, now they've disappeared without a word.

conclusion?? they collected our information and ran off! no wonder other deal sites like edailyquest have been sending out unsolicited emails, they probably bought the customer list from thedailysteal.

even if it was real, i wouldn't do business with them because they've provided NO UPDATES at all which is unprofessional.

6. Demonoid

Demonoid New Member

The Group Deal market is very over saturated in Vancouver which is why some have to shut down. GoodNews was this past monday... Groupon, Living Social, Induldge Living are the 3 with the best deals IMHO.

7. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Yep, there are too many little companies trying to make a quick buck by joining in. I don't even bother to check out their deals anymore and tend to stick to the big players, though I'm starting to notice that all deals are getting a bit stale lately (random salons, fitness deals, overpriced restaurants).

The group buy market has been booming for the past year, maybe this is a turning point? Consumers are voicing out against shitty service and bad deals, new start ups are failing, established players are bowing out (GoodNews), good deals are being diluted with garbage.. etc.