Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Teaching - Jobs and Cost of Living

Discussion in 'Employment and Students' started by Cgmason, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Cgmason

Cgmason Guest

Hello there,

I recently graduated with my education degree for teaching grades K-6 in Ontario. I currently live in Ottawa and have found employment with a private school here for the upcoming school year.

I am interested in moving to the Vancouver area in summer 2015 and will be looking for positions this year for any kind of school (public, private, independent, etc...) I've heard mixed stories about the teaching job market in the Vancouver area as well as in and around Victoria. Seems like FT positions are rare, but that you can keep fairly busy by becoming a TOC. Can anyone confirm this or give their opinion on the situation?

Lastly, and why I'm really here...if I DO manage to somehow secure a job teaching...will I be able to even afford living in Vancouver? Where do single teachers live...do they have roommates / rent a room? Is the salary good enough to afford a small apartment somewhere? Do they live in the suburbs and then drive in? I have a car here in Ottawa...would it make sense to sell it, or bring it with me?

I'm just trying to sort out if it would be worth it if I could get a job...I'd like to know that if I'm employed I'll be making more than just the bare minimum to survive haha.

Any opinions or thoughts on it would be very appreciated!