Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Tech Solar powered phones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elena, Mar 23, 2011.

1. elena

elena New Member

Read an interesting article today about the development of solar panels on phones. Forget the Powermat, or any other charger! Would be awesome if this actually came out [​IMG]

2. Klues

Klues New Member

I think that would be cool, I mean, unless you live in a place with little sunlight - but then you're probably not using a cell phone way out there :)

3. droid

droid Junior Member

Good for the power hungry phones

4. Jasmine Cassie

Jasmine Cassie New Member

i remember the Sharp have already have the solar powered phones already, but i forgot the models. It is flip phone with white and pink color. If someone is interested in that, you can google it.

5. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

In times to come electricity will come from all sorts of sources. Solar will be one. Buildings in northern climates will have panels that vibrate in winter-time when harsh winds blow their way. Those vibrations will create electricity for the building. Yes, I can see cell phones that are solar-powered.

6. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

The problem I see is when I am not using my phone, it is in my holster. I cannot see a situation where I would leave my phone in a place where the sun is shining on it and is within a safe distance of me. If I'm at work, my desk is away from the window. If I'm at home, it is on the table beside me away from the window.

7. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Very valid point, Stuntman. Perhaps one way around it would be to leave batteries on a window sill, exposed to the sun. Thus they recharge themselves while you are moving around with the current battery inside your cell phone. Then, you put one of those batteries into your phone, and leave the previous one on the window sill.