Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

SkillS aquisition builds self esteem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Jul 25, 2014.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Learning how to dothings makes you feel good about yourself. Its as simple as that. For me its knitting. Since my brain disability, i cannot learn new things as quickly as before and there are other problems but nevertheless i keep trying with it because it is something i like to do and i truly marvel at the process of creation ie picking out wool and tools and a pattern to make a real thing.

Rampant consumerism has made it easier, but less satisfying, to buy everything instead of making stuff. This makes people have less respect and understanding for what it takes to produce consmer goods. Poverty is the big obstacle because it costs to gather tools and equipment plus the time you spend creating and paying for instruction when necessary. Govt and business needs to invest inteachingeople how to make and do. It creates a more robust, creative and happier, healthier and ultimately self-sufficient society.