Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Single mom illegally evicted by foreign investor, Residential Tenancy Branch fails to help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Nov 27, 2014.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

housing shouldnt be a commodity, nor animals. nor genes...... our brand of Capitalism is deeply flawed and destructive. reducing everything into 'goods' which can be bought and sold is 'Reductionist Pathology.' theres a lot of this sickness in science too.

3. "foreigner"

"foreigner" Guest

international buyer or local buyer, why does this matter to the story? this is just more xenophobic hate train from the media pandering to poor local kids with no business or financial sense. cry more racist bigots.

the mechanic likes this.
  4. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

technically it's not racism....it's protectionism. ie. a country has the right to protect itself from 'outside' ie. foreign investment, economic take over etc that threatens the country and or its citizens. and buying up housing and then leaving it empty greatly effects the renting population. this is an issue of a country's sovereignty.

5. "foreigner"

"foreigner" Guest

it absolutely is racism. let me tell you a story, my close friend who is a 5th generation chinese canadian bought a new house on the west side to live in. everyone labelled her as a foreigner even though her ancestors came here to build the railway. she decide to sell it for a profit because all her neighbours made assumptions about her. local kids need to pay attention in history class because they don't seem to know chinese people were here during CPR and gold rush days. chinese people were in BC in 1788. way before it was part of canada!

canadians don't know their own nation's history, so sad.

Stuntman and the mechanic like this.
  6. Kisai

Kisai New Member

Let me tell you. I took a landlord to RTB for not refunding my deposit after having this kind of thing pulled, and he made a no-show of it. So I won by default. Did I get any money out of it? NOPE.

I hate the concept of investment property unless it's being rented out. Many Strata's have "no-sublet" bylaws now, especially since AirBnB became a thing.

7. milquetoast

@Kisai did you at least get the filing fee back?

8. the mechanic

the mechanic Active Member

... you really don't like property owners, do you milquetoast?

9. Kisai

Kisai New Member

Nope.

Between the outright lying of the property configuration, and the unwillingness of landlords to refund the deposit, the amount of effort it takes to go to the RTB is disproportionate to the reward, which is potentially zero even if you win. Small claims court or putting a lien on the property were options, but it would have involved taking time off during a part of the year where it just wasn't going to happen.

Part of the problem is that the original landlord and the new Landlord said the other was responsible for refunding the deposit. The new landlord is responsible for honoring the rental agreement, that includes refunding the deposit.

milquetoast likes this.
  10. milquetoast

That's not true. I just don't like landlords who take advantage of tenants.

11. ema

ema Full Member

How is she illegally evicted? I skim read it, but from the video and hearing her, they gave her 2 months notice to take it back for personal use? That's illegal?

the mechanic likes this.
  12. milquetoast

In a later part of the video, she mentions she was evicted early for "unpaid rent" which would not apply since she's entitled to 1 month of free rent as compensation for the 2 month notice.

Also, if the house is still sitting empty then the "personal use" notice was bullshit. In that case, the landlord or the purchaser must pay the tenant an additional amount equal to double the monthly rent. The landlord and the purchaser are supposed to come to an agreement over who pays this amount.

This is assuming her accounts of what happened are accurate.