Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Sibling Relationships In Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Mar 12, 2015.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Me and my sister were hostile to each other growing up. It's no wonder since this kind of adversarial relationship was modeled by my parents who really did not how to relate in a kind way at all. Now she and I lead completely separate lives because, in part, we have no foundation with eachother growing up.

Is this a Canadian cultural thing? I was watching the cutest sibs on Youtube from S.A. and you could clearly see a solid foundation of genuine affection there, despite their bantering. Is having and showing genuine affection btwn sibs not a Canadian thing? I think Canadian culture as a whole is not demonstrative when it comes to affection at all. There is a 'coldness' ...a 'detachment' btwn people here.....at least publicly.

Watching these two I was like "oh yeah....that's what genuine affection looks like" cause we don't even see that here. It's really sad actually. Are Canadians 'stoic' for any good reason?

2. Vivek Golikeri

Vivek Golikeri Active Member

Could be a hangover from the old British Empire days when English Canadians tried to be very snobby and British in order to identify with the Empire. Funny. While I still lived in Trinidad I imagined Canadians to be cold and reserved. But in 1973, when I visited family in Nova Scotia, I found them to be warm and friendly. Truthfully, I don't know what to say in response to your comment. But yes, some Canadians can be "stoic" as you put it.

3. Bine

Bine Full Member

You always make such interesting observations. I am sure you must have played a lot of cricket in Trinidad and Tobago.

You May Also Like...

1. Toxic Relationships by flutterby