Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Seasonal Transit Service Adjustments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Superchecker, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Superchecker

Superchecker Active Member

Well, it's almost that time again...
    If you use transit in the lower mainland, you might like to know that as of APRIL 15, The "Spring" service adjustments come into effect...
    There is a partial list of some of the upcoming "adjustments" over at www.translink.ca or you can also print new timetables directly from that website, simply by selecting the route(s) that you are interested in and by selecting a date on or after April 15...
    I do know of at least 2 more changes than those that they have listed on the TransLink website: Bus #430 departure times from Metrotown are a changing, AND bus #620 is going to it's busier "Summer" frequencies/schedules...

Schedule adjustments can happen up to 4 times a year: End of June, Labour day, mid Dec and mid April...

Keep an eye on their website or call 604-953-3333...
    You can also text any particular bus stop ID number to 33333, and get the scheduled times for the next few buses to pass that bus stop...

2. Joe

Joe Full Member

Superchecker...can you please tell me the phone number where a person can lodge complaints about poor driving habits or conduct by some of your colleagues at Translink?

Recently, I've ridden on some buses where the driving is absolutely atrocious, or the drivers are incredibly rude or mean-spirited to some of their customers.

One specific complaint I have about some drivers (certainly not the majority or likely yourself) are those who purposely jam the brakes as hard as they can with standing customers present even when there's no visible threat or obstruction from either back, front or the sides of their bus. Now I understand when the driver's bus is threatened by collision, but not when a threat doesn't exists to the driver, the vehicle or their passengers.

I was on one downtown bus, and the driver was rude, angry and he needlessly jammed the brakes when the bus was traveling no faster than 10 mph sending a number of the standing passengers tumbling or barely upright. There was no visible threat from any side of the bus. In fact, the bus wasn't even located anywhere close to the curb. He chose to stop the bus in the middle of the street, forcing passengers to walk several feet from the curb, or departing ones, several feet to it. There were no other vehicles closeby (15 feet or less) in front of or behind the bus. I was so outraged by his conduct and driving habits, that I decided to leave the bus and walk the rest of the way rather than staying on it. But on the way out, I told they guy he was doing a poor job, he was pumping his brakes much too hard. I know he wasn't too please as I saw his face in the mirror as he sneered with a blank and otherwise expressionless stare.

I know from experience at driving similarly large vehicles, that a driver doesn't have to knock his passengers down or drive aggressively like that. I never have and never do. Especially when they are standing, I've take great care to ensure that they will not fall down or sustain injury as a result of my stopping habits.

Passengers are fee-paying customers & they are footing the bill for expensive and ever-increasing fares. Therefore, they have the right to be treated well if they act respectably when they hop on the bus. It isn't free for them and therefore they should expect a reasonable standard from these drivers.

Your reply to this thread would be highly appreciated.

3. Superchecker

Customer Service is at 604-953-3040 from 8am til 4pm... They will ask specific information such as route number, vehicle number, direction/location, time of day, day of the week.... They will also require all of your contact information...
    If any Operators are in fact "Called In" to deal with your concerns/complaints, they will be paid one hours pay to discuss their side of your concerns...
    You can also leave an email/report via the TransLink website...

4. lumix

lumix Full Member

This seasonal adjustment in spring, are there going to be more bus service or few bus service?

5. Superchecker

It's a regular quarterly service adjustments... Every Spring they "reduce" service on most- if not all- University and College routes... Less demand once winter classes are over... Increased frequencies out to the ferry terminal, Stanley Park, White Pine Beach, etc...
    The Budget is frozen at 2011 levels, and the company continues to tweek those service hours, trying to get the most out of every dollar...

If you ever use the #430 service, the frequenices are staying the same but the times of most trips leaving each end will be "adjusted" as of April 15, to reduce layover times (breaks) at each end...

At some point this year: Either Sept or maybe Dec, They will be launching the new B-Line route in Surrey! Connecting Guildford Town Centre, Surrey Central & Newton Exchange with frequent- rapid bus style service... The extention on to White Rock is on hold at this time...

6. lumix

lumix Full Member

Oh yes, less service when there is no classes. The new B-Line to Surrey will improve transit in that part of Surrey. Service to White Rock will need improvement, commute from White Rock to Vancouver, including all the transfers/skytrain will take more than one hour presently. A second B-Line for White Rock with shorter commute time is needed, this service should go by the Panaroma area because there is lack of service there. As for the Cloverdale/Langley area, good that 502 is running there quite frequently.

7. Superchecker

Just a friendly reminder that the Spring schedules kick in Monday, April 15...

New timetables are available online (www.translink.ca), at public libraries, community centres, city & municipal halls, by calling 604-953-3333, and by texting your individual bus stops 5 digit ID number to 33333....