Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Tech Screen Protectors From Metrotown No Good

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Of GuardianS, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

After a phone call, the screen on my new Galaxy SII 4G would not turn back on. Had to take the battery out and put it back in. At first I thought I have to go and return the phone. Apparently, the new screen protector I bought from one of those kiosk stands at Metrotown(earlier today)was blocking these sensors on my phone(the 2 tiny dots beside the front camera). The guy who put the screen protector on was a bit off. They designed those holes way too small. Just a bit off and it'll prevent the screen from turning on after a call. Tried putting the screen protector back on, but it was all ugly. Ended throwing it away. $20! I'm gonna go back there tomorrow and have the guy put on a new one for me. It was the kiosk in front of Fido.

[​IMG]

2. mission

mission Full Member

Thanks for the tip about the poor 'workmanship' of that vendor:

For me, I didn't bother getting a screen protector for my touch screen smart phone because:

• I treat my phone gently, don't throw phone around that cause scratches

• I expect to change my smart phone maybe once in 3 years, by the third year, I don't really care if I scratch it. If I expect to keep the smart phone for 10 years maybe I will consider the screen protector.

• I expect smart phone manufacturers to use screens that are resistant to scratching, installing a screen protector is not really necessary (article on scratching)

• Manufacturers spend millions of dollars to research, design and innovate on the latest HD screens eg Samsung Super Amoled HD screen. To install a cheap 'plastic', that costs less than a dollar to manufacturer maybe in China, $20 to install at the retail store, is lose the pleasure of looking at the screen in its pure HD mode, instead having to view pics/videos through the cheap 'plastic'.

When I first got my first smart phone, my first thought was to get the screen protector, after considering the above, I changed my mind.

3. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

I know what you mean. Kind of pointless for a screen protector for mine. Have never used a screen protector until now. Decided to get one from Bell instead of going back to Ghost Armor for a replacement. The one from Bell covers both of the sensors(the one from Ghost Armor have tiny holes for them). My phone works fine now. Screen turns on after a call.

The screen on these new smartphones are very scratch resistant. I don't think I had any scratches on the Galaxy S Vibrant. Just some damage from dropping on the concrete floor. Never had a back case either, until now. The screen protector from Bell does prevent smudging. I tend to have sweaty fingers.

4. mission

mission Full Member

I had smudges all over my phone too, can't be help especially when after using the hands for snacking. I use a cleaning cloth to clean my phone every night.

5. Henry

Henry Junior Member

I usually don't mind smudging, I just rub it with a cloth or even my shirt. If you are worried about scratching, you can just get a case.

6. Charles

Charles Guest

I'll advise anyone against this GhostArmor outlet.
    Last friday (8 days ago) my sister had her phone installed the front screen protecticve film at this location.
    When the installtion is completed we noticed there are shiny bubbles or dot like thing spread across the whole screen. The staff assured us the "condensation" will disspate within 2 to 3 days, and if it doesn't we can take it back.
    When we return today since the bubbles are still there, the staff told us they have to charge us a $5 installtion fee since it was over the 7 day warranty period (just one day over)
    Wait, what? I thought this thing has LIFE-TIME warranty? It turns out that only applies to the film itself, not the installation work.

So basically the staff are charging us for 2 mistakes they've made:
    1)Failed to install the film correctly, with lots of bubbles/condensation beneath it.
    2)Failed to notified us about the 7-day warranty period when we first visited it.

If you really need to do it at this location : remember to come back within 7 days to have them redo it if they screw up.

In the end we simply decided to remove the film and try out if the gorilla glass is as strong as it was advertised.

7. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I just buy cheapo ones online and DIY. Way cheaper if you mess up (and you are bound to if it's your first time).

Some tips:
    1. Apply the screen protector in the bathroom after you've taken a shower, it removes some of the dust circulating in the air.
    2. Use a credit card to smooth it out after application but BEFORE you remove the "second layer", otherwise you'll end up scratching the screen protector like me (oops).