Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Sad about the moose

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flutterby, Apr 11, 2013.

1. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Theres a story about a moose wandering into a grocery store in Smithers to have a nice apple or two. It died from what sounds like a tranquilizer overdose after the wildlife people darted and removed it from the store.

What really gets to me is all the ticks he was covered in. I wonder how we can help our dear wildlife with the terrible scourge of ticks. They try in vain to rub them off or drown them but nothing works.

2. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Sorry, it's in today's province

3. lumix

lumix Full Member

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

That's sad. The problem is that they're winter ticks. Apparently the moose get sick from both blood loss and the cold. They end up losing patches of hair by rubbing against trees because they're not able to groom themselves like deer do.

Someone posted a picture of the moose on facebook:
    [​IMG]

A few years ago there was a bear that went into a Subway in Kitimat.

5. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

That moose is a cutie. Poor thing.

6. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Winter ticks? I think they would be year round.

7. milquetoast

Winter meaning that's when they start appearing on hosts. The ticks have a one year life cycle and are only mature enough to start feeding in January and February.

Winter's definitely not a good time to be losing blood and patches of hair, especially when you're an animal that depends on it for warmth.

I think most ticks feed in the summer, hence they call these ones winter ticks.

8. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

G*d that was confusing cheese. Ok, your last line should read " I think most other ticks feed in the summer, hence they call these ones winter ticks.

So you're saying that there is a tick that lives on moose that because it, the tick, is born and feeds in winter is called the Winter Tick?"
    So these ticks, apparently, jump off their warm hosts en masse, in the spring to lay eggs on the ground.

anyway, who cares? It's still gross and sad that moose have to suffer with this.

9. milquetoast

Wow, what's with the hostility? The line is fine the way it is because the meaning is implicit and deducible via inference. The sentence is only confusing if you take it in isolation. Regardless, sorry for the confusion.

10. 6u-huo.l.uV

6u-huo.l.uV Moderator Staff Member

Huh. I heard about the moose too, but didn't read into it. This conversation got me to look up the ticks, though. This seems pretty legit for the life cycle.
    tl;dr version is that:
    1. eggs laid in ~May
    2. eggs hatch in late summer
    3. dormancy and setting themselves up into trees
    4. drop onto animals and feast

11. why don't you consider ticks part of our 'dear wildlife'? just because they aren't cute doesn't mean they aren't important in nature

12. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

That did cross my mind. A "purist" might say that ticks are just a part of nature and we need to let it run it's course, but I personally think that's b.s.

I don't know what the solution is but I'm not advocating a scientific one per se. I wonder if ingested tea tree oil would make moose blood unpalatable or maybe Citronella. Realistically they'd have to eat tea tree oil a few times ie. a new staple.

13. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

And it's not about what is "important in nature". It's about an imbalance that is occurring. There is an increase in ticks causing a de crease in moose and this needs to be brought back into balance.

14. nature balances itself. human intervention is what
    throws it off in the first place

15. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Yeah and when humans take it out of balance, sometimes it takes humans to put it back

16. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

I guess we shouldn't clean the plastic out of the ocean then

17. stupid analogy ticks aren't man-made
    moose aren't even endangered where is the 'imbalance'? humans routinely hunt them

18. flutterby

flutterby Active Member

Actually moose and other wildlife are dying here and in the States. It's such a big problem down south that they are thinking of using chemical pesticides. Ticks are an environmental problem whose overpopulation, it could be argued, is triggered by global warming.

The analogy stands.

cheeseshredder likes this.
  19. milquetoast

20. i copy and paste from this site http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/WildlifeDiseases/documents/Winter_ticks.pdf
    i trust the university of alberta more than you ;)

"Generally, winter tick is not a management concern ... Major die-offs of moose in Alberta seem to occur every 12-15 years ... The die-off of moose removed not only moose but many many ticks from the ecosystem and also reduced some of the ecological pressure on the stressed vegetation."

sorry but you are wrong here flutterby
    'reducing stress on vegetation' sounds like nature is balancing itself circle of life!

cheeseshredder likes this.