Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Reason to vote yes in the Vancouver public transit referendum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by milquetoast, Apr 6, 2015.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

I don't think a yes vote will make all of those people choose public transit over a private vehicle.

3. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

If the transit plan is approved, some people would use their car less especially with the UBC Broadway Line. It may be a small percentage of people but across the whole region it would add up.

Either way, I'm not hopeful the referendum will pass. Christy Clark planned this intentionally. It's the HST all over again. Years later, the provincial government will say "we offered you better transit but you said no". It's shifts the blame to the public when it's supposed to be the government's job to make these decisions.

Stuntman likes this.
  4. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

That's how I feel about this referendum as well. It's a "get out of jail free" card for the politicians. No matter which way the vote goes, they can claim they weren't responsible for the transit situation for years to come.

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Full Member

milquetoast likes this.
  6. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich Junior Member

Although I'm generally displeased with TransLink's mismanagement and the recent SkyTrain shutdowns, I absolutely voted yes on the transit referendum because the alternative would ultimately only exasperate the situation.

Currently, despite the aforementioned mismanagement and shutdowns: the transit situation in Metro Vancouver is superior to that of most other Canadian municipalities (speaking as a former resident of Winnipeg) and more funding would be required to simply maintain our system's current level of service as the demand grows with the population--let alone actually further improving and expanding it!

Many of those who voted no stated that they did so to protest against and punish TransLink. Voting no as such would only lead to further degradation to our transit system and an incapability to expand it to meet the growing demand, ultimately punishing commuters rather than TransLink.

I do agree that putting forth the transit funding question as a referendum is a bit of a dodge on the part of the provincial government, but I also can't really complain if it results in democratic changes to public policy that genuinely reflects the public's desires.