Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Question regarding unsold food at Safeway and Costco

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Terence Liu, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Terence Liu

Terence Liu New Member

Hi friends,

Just wondering if anyone know how safeway and costco handles the expired unsold vegetables, fruits, and meat?

Do they simply throw them away?

Thanks,

Terence

2. mission

mission Full Member

Don't know what Safeway or Costco do with unsold food.

The rumor I heard about T&T is they cook their closed to expiry food to sell as hot food/chinese take out.

3. Terence Liu

Terence Liu New Member

It does make sense from a business point of view and it's technically OK.

4. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

Safeway probably uses it for their deli items (subs, salads, soups etc). Nothing wrong with using it for cooked items, but some places will just relabel it with a new expiry date. One of the Superstores in Vancouver got caught doing that by one of the media companies. It was expired meat too :sick:.

A friend (not the most reliable guy I admit) that worked at the Marine Dr. Superstore told me some nasty stories about their baked goods. For example, employees dropping dough on the dirty floor and not throwing the batch out or workers accidentally leaving knives/utensils in the commercial stand mixers, turning it on and then cooking the metal laden dough anyway.