Welcome to Forum Vancouver, an online discussion community for Metro Vancouver Hide
We have message boards for you to chat about shopping, community events, places to eat, things to do and much more!
Consider helping our forum grow by sharing your knowledge about living in the Greater Vancouver area.

is free and only takes a few moments to complete.

Fashion & Beauty Products Review: LIP BALM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ema, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ema

ema Full Member

Yay! Killed two birds with one stone, snagged this off of my blog. Haha, first one to post in this section!
    Any ways back on topic...my yay and nay of lip balms!
    I have a slight fetish thing with buying lip balm (I hate lip smackers, those don't qualify)

My all time fave lipbalm!
    [​IMG]

It's a mentho lip balm so it leaves you that tingy-ness. Which I love just because it feels like it's actually conditioning your lips. With SPF 15 so that's good considering that you don't want nasty sun spots on your lips.

*Sadly, it's barely available at T&T Supermarket. I found mine at a Chinese Medicine store LOL, it's I guess not as favourable here in Canada? But my Taiwan friend knows of it and loves it. There's various flavours, strawberry, honeydew, regular, etc.

My second favourite if the first is not available:
    [​IMG]

Soft lips! In strawberry, I just like it because it has the mentho feel on the lips. Nice design is a plus!

Something you shouldn't buy...burt's bee? What's the hype? I don't get it!
    [​IMG]

I bought one just to see what's so magical...nasty. Beeswax on your lips...and I mean if it had mentho or some thing. But no, it was just beeswax on your lips...that's the same nasty as washing your hair with pantene pro-v. It's coating your lips in wax for a shine so-call "moisture."

And this smells good! But that's it, it puts a colour onto your lips...smells good. Tastes ok too.
    [​IMG]

Recently, I went to Whistler and stumbled upon Rocky Mountain Soaps Inc.
    They claim to use everything natural. So I gave their lip butters a try, (in green apple and apricot)
    They smell literally like the fruit that they claim to smell like. It gives nice moisturizer but very temporary. Same concept as Burt's Bee, butter on your lips to close in the moisturizer. Would I buy it again? Definitely not.
    [​IMG]

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Senior Member

I'm currently using Blistex Lip Infusions. Burt's bees I find to be okay, some varieties do have the menthol effect. It works better for some people than others, it's a bit "stiff/dry" for me.

Funny thing, a friend and I (we're both guys) bought Blistex replenish and it turned out pretty good. We were hesitant because the packaging and product design was ridiculously feminine (female lips, lip stick style glossy dispenser). I lost mine before I got to finish it :( and I like trying new products, but my friend's been buying the same one since.

I just googled it, and they made the packaging even more girly.

[​IMG]

Btw, what's your blog?

3. milquetoast

I've heard of lip ice, I think Mentholatum makes it. Which chinese herbal shop did you find it in??

4. mon

mon New Member

Meli, how much is the menthol lip balm in T & T? My friend recently recommended that product to me but she got it from HK. I would love to try it if it's not too expensive. I don't usually go to T&T because of the crowd but I wouldn't mind making a trip if it's worth it.

For the Burt's Bee, that product bothers me too. I tried it once few years ago because of the hype and I wiped if off right away. Eeewww!!

Using Yves Rocher lip balM ATM. It's really good (and I'm usually picky with lip balm because I have dry lip!) considering I got it for $3 in store and all the freebies they give me! :D

5. ema

ema Full Member

Mmm, somewhere in Chinatown. If you want, I can always go grab one for you and we can meet up in September at school ;) LOL!! Just pm me the flavour or something I don't know HAHA!

I think at T&T it's around $5-8 for one. It's definitely my fave out of all the other lip balms I've tried.

Apparently, carmex is pretty good too...but I have this thing against yellow packaging.

6. mon

mon New Member

That's not to bad. It's time to go shopping :D

I tried the Carmex stuff before too and found it too waxy. My skin is super sensitive so I'm really picky when it comes to product.

I forgot to mention. I also love to use Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream as lipbalm. It's around $25 retail but I get them for around $15 from warehouse sale. That thing lasts forever. My last one was good for two years and I threw it out before it's finished. Not to sure about using a 2 year old cream which I ingest. :D

7. ema

ema Full Member

Update to my list:
    I just bought the Co Bigelow apothecaries lip tint (there's also a lip shine)
    I picked up the lip tint which was in pink mint. If you love that minty burn to your lips! This is the one for you! (maybe not for guys since it's a shine on your lips and I don't think you'd like people to think you're wearing lipgloss :p )

But it definitely moisturizes and isn't sticky as we'd think it would be.

8. herfun

herfun New Member

Thanks for sharing the info on lip balms. I am always on the look out for a good one so I will definately give Lip Ice a try!

9. fashionlover

fashionlover New Member

Currently using the Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer SPF 15. For those who don't like the tingly feeling, it has no menthol! Pretty good so far. Another good one is the lipbalm by Roc.. which you can find at Shoppers. Best one I have used!

10. ema

ema Full Member

Oooh thanks! I'm trying out this Aquafina at the moment and it's nice. However, I'm not enjoying the waxy feel.

11. ema

ema Full Member

have been using this for a while, i don't like shea butter so I'm not liking how this lip balm has a buttery effect on your lips. But after 5 minutes, it's gone and it moisturizes well, it also has SPF 15 which is better than nothing. SMELLS GOOD, I love the smell, it's a very light french vanilla smell. what's great about this is that you're twisting from the top which prevents the balm from breaking.

[​IMG]

12. 6u-huo.l.uV

6u-huo.l.uV Moderator Staff Member

sounds like it'd make me want to eat it..
    i'm still using regular nivea lip balm

13. ema

ema Full Member

oh gawd i have a drawer full of lip balms lol. will compare them when I'm free =)

14. mission

mission Full Member

How does the Beeswax taste? Or just like wax like you said? So it taste like candle wax??

15. Night Of GuardianS

Night Of GuardianS Active Member

I have tried many different lip balms. The one that works best is Aveeno's with jojoba oil. Have tried the green Aveeno lip balm, but wasn't effective as the blue one, which have jojoba oil. Burt's Bee did not work all that well for me.

I use this lip balm nightly. When I don't use it, the next morning my lips would get dry after I brush my teeth and cleanse my face.

[​IMG]

16. milquetoast

Tried Kiehl's LIP BALM #1 Mango with SPF 4.

Pro: Works pretty well for me and lasts quite long.
    Con: Smells like mango pudding which makes me want to eat the tube.

[​IMG]

17. stack

stack Junior Member

Beeswax is nasty.. ok, now I know.

18. honeycomb

honeycomb Junior Member

I'm actually a fan of Beeswax lip balm. I find that it works really well for me. I've been using this 0ne for the longest time.

[​IMG]

19. honeycomb

honeycomb Junior Member

Dermalogica's Climate Control Lip Treatment.

I just started using this a few days ago. I like it because it doesn't feel greasy on my lips. But the down side is that it doesn't last very long.

[​IMG]